uTorrent API so i can program an interface for Windows MCE

Pleh

I would like to create an interface for Windows Media Center for uTorrent, so i can search for, and download media from well known torrent sites, like mininova, from my media center. All i need is some way to get information out of uTorrent, regarding current download status, and some way to send commands to either add, remove, stop, pause and resume torrents.

If you can manage this fairly easily, can you add it to your next release, once ive completed the Windows MCE interface, i will release the source to the main developers of uTorrent (or the public if they wish) I will probably use .Net to create the MCE interface so if you could bare that in mind that would be great.

If you have no plans to create an API for uTorrent, can you please let me know, so i can find another client that will. Allthough i would prefer to use yours (as its the best).

Thanks

Pleh

I vote for an API too =)

I could remotely control my torrents box without using any kind of remote-screen viewers!

(Actually the best way I found of controling it is using the auto-import feature, and a windows shared folder for completed torrents).

I'll be doing it in .NET too.

Thanks,

Mat

• 5 weeks later...
the data is sent as javascript, and then the AJAX interface renders the page using that info. :P

Data can't be sent "as javascript"... can it? :lol:

AJAX is Asynchronous Javascript And XML, so the chances of µT using XML for its data in/out would be pretty high, that is, if it really IS using AJAX in the traditional sense...

And yet, processing any "browser-based language" is going to be slow as molasses compared to the server actually doing it's job and processing the data in something efficient like C/C++, perl, or even a bash script. In the case of AJAX, people just got too excited with having a new toy to notice that it's crap aside from a very few useful instances.

AJAX isn't actually that slow, it works pretty well, and provides for a fully functional interface :P I've tried it, and it's nice

in any case, there's also gonna be a "light" interface (which uses only minimal amounts of javascript, and it's not possible to avoid using it)

and no, µTorrent can't render the HTML itself

Hey, I'm all "three cheers" for not building an html renderer into µTorrent, that'd start the slippery slope away from the µ part. However, since there's a choice between C++ doing the numbers crunching and javascript, and since this is µTorrent, why take the far slower and far more memory intensive way of doing anything?

it'd be difficult for µT to render the HTML. And as for the web interface, you have the choice of "wasting CPU" (you can control the update interval too) with the AJAX interface, or choosing the much simpler interface. It's all a matter of preference. :P

• 8 months later...

This thread was started with a request for a "uTorrent API for MCE". We could really use the same thing for MediaPortal. It has a torrent plugin that lets you download torrents via any client (uTorrent, Azureus...etc) but so far only Azureus has way to programmatically get a listing of torrents being downloaded and start, stop or remove a torrent. It does not have to be fancy; just a couple web service calls such as "Torrent List" and "Remove Torrent" would be enough to get started with. Please let me know if I'm missing something and there is already a way to do this.

I forgot i made this thread :s

Yes there is now a way to do it. you can use the new WebUI. Download the beta and play around with it, you can send a web request to get the current torrentlist and you can add, pause start stop torrents etc.

Once i am done with the FlashUI i will have to start this project :)

• 7 months later...

Archived