Utorrent latest beta crashes my whole pc (Torrent file size limit?)

Georgie

Hello everyone.

Since the new version of utorrent (1.8) (even with the latest beta),im facing some issues.

The program crashes the whole pc!So i have to reboot it in order to be stable again.The problem was appearing when i was seeding.But now when i try to download a file,it crashes my pc again.I just saw that the file's size i was trying to download was 1.51Gb.Is there a limit on the file's size?Because im currently download a file (smaller than 1.50Gb,its actually 1.46Gb)and it hasn't crashed yet.Can i change the options something in order to make it work?I dont want to change a client :-)

P.S. Im thinking that the file i was seeding was above 1.50Gb,but the problem appeared in the new version :-/

P.S.Sorry for my terrible English :-/

No my pc doesn't crash on its own.Only when im using utorrent and only in the situation i described above.

Any advice to solve the problem?Like changing the disk cache or something?Im not very good with the advanced settings and their consequences.

Thank you in advance :)

HI i just wanted to say that after the new 1.8 my pc has also run into a file size issue that makes utorrent flip out...I can be downloading like 20 torrents and the file sizes can be 220 megs to 700 megs and all of it will download fine i can run video games watch stuff or whatever while its goin on...

Then i try to download just a single file that is over 1 gig im not sure on where the cutoff point is atm but after idk 5 mins after the download a few things have happened computer will just stop and go to a screen of death :P just blank usually i guess(havent been writing what happens down), sometimes i can still move my mouse and its like my system is not responding and then 30s later it all cacthes up and starts workin again for a min then stops or freezes and have to reboot.

All i know is my comp was workin fine w/ utorrent before 1.8 i got the new 1.8 update did nothing on my comp as far as dling any new software, changing utorrent settings, etc. And the reason i know this for a fact was i had a torrent that was about 5 gigs i was like 50% done w/ while i had old utorrent and i got the new 1.8 around 1/2 thru that torrent and after i got it i couldnt finish the download of the torrent just freezes and i get like 5 mins of the torrent being active....

Also i can have a torrent loaded thats more then a few gigs and as long as i have it stopped utorrent works fine, just when its active it goes haywire.

Hello Farmdog :)

Yeah i totally agree with you!Everything you just said its like hearing my own problems im facing with the program.When im download a big file,above 1.5Gb for me i think,the program crashes and then my whole pc freezes and the only solution is to reboot it.The mouse cursor is stuck,task manager is not working etc.But there is no the familiar Blue Screen Of Death.Weird :-/

Also as you said,i can have a torrent file which is big and when im not downloading or seeding it,utorrent works fine.When its goes active (like downloading or uploading),i have the same problems :-/

What is wrong,i cant understand.

Thank you for sharing your problem,at least i know its not only me :)

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2

Scan saved at 5:11:54 μμ, on 17/9/2008

Platform: Windows Vista SP1 (WinNT 6.00.1905)

MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6001.18000)

Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:

C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe

C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe

C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe

C:\Windows\RtHDVCpl.exe

C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\egui.exe

C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe

C:\Windows\ehome\ehtray.exe

C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe

C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe

C:\Windows\ehome\ehmsas.exe

C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmpnscfg.exe

C:\Windows\system32\wbem\unsecapp.exe

C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe

C:\Program Files\eMule\emule.exe

C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

C:\Program Files\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe

C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

C:\Windows\system32\SearchFilterHost.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = about:blank

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =

O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll

O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll

O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll

O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll

O2 - BHO: FDMIECookiesBHO Class - {CC59E0F9-7E43-44FA-9FAA-8377850BF205} - C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\iefdm2.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Cmiboot] C:\Windows\cmiboot.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RtHDVCpl] RtHDVCpl.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NBKeyScan] "C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero8\Nero BackItUp\NBKeyScan.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [egui] "C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\egui.exe" /hide /waitservice

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvSvc] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\system32\nvsvc.dll,nvsvcStart

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ehTray.exe] C:\Windows\ehome\ehTray.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [sidebar] C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /autoRun

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WMPNSCFG] C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\WMPNSCFG.exe

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')

O8 - Extra context menu item: Add to Google Photos Screensa&ver - res://C:\Windows\system32\GPhotos.scr/200

O8 - Extra context menu item: Download video with Free Download Manager - file://C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\dlfvideo.htm

O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000

O8 - Extra context menu item: Μεταφόρτωση όλων με το Free Download Manager - file://C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\dlall.htm

O8 - Extra context menu item: Μεταφόρτωση επιλεγμένου με το Free Download Manager - file://C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\dlselected.htm

O8 - Extra context menu item: Μεταφόρτωση με το Free Download Manager - file://C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\dllink.htm

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\PROGRA~1\Java\JRE16~1.0_0\bin\ssv.dll

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\PROGRA~1\Java\JRE16~1.0_0\bin\ssv.dll

O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search & Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll

O13 - Gopher Prefix:

O16 - DPF: {67DABFBF-D0AB-41FA-9C46-CC0F21721616} - http://download.divx.com/player/DivXBrowserPlugin.cab

O23 - Service: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\aawservice.exe

O23 - Service: AVG Anti-Spyware Guard - GRISOFT s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe

O23 - Service: Basics Service - Seagate Technology LLC - C:\Program Files\Seagate\Basics\Service\SyncServicesBasics.exe

O23 - Service: Eset HTTP Server (EhttpSrv) - ESET - C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\EHttpSrv.exe

O23 - Service: Eset Service (ekrn) - ESET - C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\ekrn.exe

O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe

O23 - Service: Nero BackItUp Scheduler 3 - Nero AG - C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero8\Nero BackItUp\NBService.exe

O23 - Service: NMIndexingService - Nero AG - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Nero\Lib\NMIndexingService.exe

O23 - Service: PD91Agent - Raxco Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Raxco\PerfectDisk2008\PD91Agent.exe

O23 - Service: PD91Engine - Raxco Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Raxco\PerfectDisk2008\PD91Engine.exe

O23 - Service: PD91VMDefrag - Raxco Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Raxco\PerfectDisk2008\PD91VMDefrag.exe

O23 - Service: PLFlash DeviceIoControl Service - Prolific Technology Inc. - C:\Windows\system32\IoctlSvc.exe

O23 - Service: SBSD Security Center Service (SBSDWSCService) - Safer Networking Ltd. - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDWinSec.exe

O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\System32\TuneUpDefragService.exe,-1 (TuneUp.Defrag) - TuneUp Software GmbH - C:\Windows\System32\TuneUpDefragService.exe

O23 - Service: XAudioService - Conexant Systems, Inc. - C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\xaudio.exe

--

End of file - 6997 bytes

Media Indexers can seriously interfere with uTorrent, by locking files uTorrent is trying to use:

O23 - Service: NMIndexingService - Nero AG - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Nero\Lib\NMIndexingService.exe

NOD32 v2.7 WILL CRASH uTorrent.

NOD32 v3 has to be configured to ignore uTorrent's working folder or it too can cause problems.

O23 - Service: Eset HTTP Server (EhttpSrv) - ESET - C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\EHttpSrv.exe

O23 - Service: Eset Service (ekrn) - ESET - C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\ekrn.exe

You've got at least 2 AV running constantly? (NOD32 and AVG):

O23 - Service: AVG Anti-Spyware Guard - GRISOFT s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe

Quite a few other unusual programs I haven't seen on other peoples Hijack logs:

C:\Windows\system32\wbem\unsecapp.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Cmiboot] C:\Windows\cmiboot.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RtHDVCpl] RtHDVCpl.exe

Free Download Manager

PerfectDisk2008

Possibly one of these conflicts with uTorrent?

Well,i configure Nod32 (i have version 3) to ignore uTorrent's working folder.

"O23 - Service: AVG Anti-Spyware Guard - GRISOFT s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe" ----> This is not an anti-virus,its an anti-spyware program and the guard is working only for the paid version,i use the free version without the real time protection.

"C:\Windows\system32\wbem\unsecapp.exe" --->Process name: Microsoft Windows Management Instrumentation unsecapp.exe is a process found on Microsoft Windows server and workstation suites which offers support towards compatibility issues.This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.unsecapp.exe should not be disabled, required for essential applications to work properly. (as said in Microsoft site)

"O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Cmiboot] C:\Windows\cmiboot.exe"--->This entry enables the C-Media Multicardreader i have on pc.

"O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RtHDVCpl] RtHDVCpl.exe"--->(Part of the Realtek Semiconductor High Definition Audio System driver.) RtHDVCpl.exe is a program file which may have arrived on your pc when your bought it. It may also appear in your computer startup. The actual disk location is also shown below (where the file should be located on your disk), so always verify the location to make sure your file is not spyware or adware related. This file is part of the audio control panel and is a hardware related file. This file is from Realtek software and is not considered adware or malware and it is considered safe.

As about PerfectDisk2008 its a program,as you may have heard it for disk defragment

In the previous version of uTorrent,i wasnt facing any problem with those :-/

P.S. Im sorry for this huge post.

So i have been turning a few things on / off tryin to see if anything has helped and so far nothing i have done seems to matter to utorrent when runnin a large torrent...but i did gather one more bit of info not sure if it helps or matters in the slightest but....

If im downloading a batch torrent say 5 gigs for namesakes and each file is 250 megs....If i just start the download and it has the torrent active w/ each individual file for the whole 5 gigs yes my comp stops working as previously stated but if i go thru and just allow 3 of the indiv files to run on the 5 gig batch torrent and the others are set to "Don't Download" the torrent works fine and i download the 750 megs fine.

I know this isnt a fix but it could help others if the files are small enough and it is a pain but it works for now so ill keep lookin around and trying to do more myself but i think im close to a dead end atm...

Thank you for your information Farmdog.Yeah i understood what you mean,if its a big files (but with many parts in it)we can download some small files individually,yeah thats a pretty good advice.But....

...the most files that are pretty big,are not "cut" into smaller "pieces" like part.001 or something.So we are coming back in our main problem :-/

Yeah keep looking around and let us know if you find anything,important or not :)

• 1 month later...

I think I have solved this problem. It has been haunting me for more than a year, and it seems to be a common problem with people who (1) are downloading torrents (but have no problem with direct peer to peer such as Soulseek) (2) Have XP or Vista installed (i think from XP service pack 2 onwards) and (3) Have a wireless modem.

There seems to be some kind of conflict between XP, torrent and wireless modem drivers when the torrent tries to access the DHT network. Some modems have updated drivers but not all of them do - mine doesn't. One option -apparently - is to swop your USB to modem cable with an ethernet/network to modem cable. Another option - apparently - is to disable hyperthreading in the BIOS. (For some reason, I can't get into my BIOS menu so I couldn't try this).

But the easiest option simply to switch off DHT networking in your torrent client (utorrent, bitcomet etc). I did this about three days ago and haven't had a crash yet, after constantly crashing on two different machines for more than a year.

I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure that this might a universal solution and I haven't seen one yet.

SO - the SIMPLEST WAY TO STOP SYSTEM FREEZE WITH TORRENTS is to make sure the "Enable DHT Network" checkbox in your Torrent Agent is unticked. This will mean that thinner torrents might download more slowly but I haven't had any speed problems - but then I don't have a very fast connection.

Sincerely hope that work for everyone. Inexplicable system freezes are sooooo frustrating.

Hmmm Kent_Phoenix i DHT network is disabled since i have been using utorrent,i have never enable it,so i guess that solution is not for me unfortunately :-(

Something else to suggest?

But thank you anyway for your help and your time to tell us your problem and your solution,im glad that it is been fixed for you :-D

Archived