Large amount of CFC errors since 1.8 upgrade

Tympanicman

9 out of 10 of ever torrent I have downloaded since upgrading to the 1.8 version has resulted in lots of CFC errors. Causing me to delete the torrent from utorrent and redownloading same torrent from tracker. This causes recheck and finds the corupt parts and redownloads them.

This is happening to all three trackers I use. However I am no getting any hash fails.

I have changed my data delivery point to another machine to test in case of a bad drive or bad memory, same issue. Have moved data storage to local drives same story.

any ideas???

System Info:

OS Name Microsoft® Windows® Server 2003 for Small Business Server

Version 5.2.3790 Service Pack 2 Build 3790

Other OS Description Not Available

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Name AGRISYSTSERVER

System Manufacturer Dell Computer Corporation

System Model PowerEdge 2600

System Type X86-based PC

Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~2392 Mhz

BIOS Version/Date Dell Computer Corporation A14, 2/21/2005

SMBIOS Version 2.3

Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS

System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2

Locale United States

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.2.3790.3959 (srv03_sp2_rtm.070216-1710)"

User Name Not Available

Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time

Total Physical Memory 2,047.34 MB

Available Physical Memory 197.53 MB

Total Virtual Memory 3.85 GB

Available Virtual Memory 1.21 GB

Page File Space 2.00 GB

Page File C:\pagefile.sys

I hope this helps will be glad to provide additional info if needed.

Thanks Tymp.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry yes, CRC errors, most always when obtaining .RAR file sets.

Additional info: Torrent is downloaded, to download folder. I attempt to extract the .RAR archive. Receive message that archive is corrupt can't continue. I delete torrent from U torrent. return to tracker and redownload torrent. Recheck takes place showing missing parts in torrent that U torrent declared complete and was seeding. Redownloads missing parts and archive can then be extracted. Weird!!??!!

I am not moving between diffrent drives.

Firon,

Please take a look at the machine I am using... I have no bad drive and no memory problem, its utorrent , not my equipment... I would not waste your time or mine if I had not checked this out before posting. Besides me running extensive diags before contacting you my Server and the built in fail-over systems would have cried like mad at any equipment failure... The errors are comming from WinRAR saying the torrent is corrupt after utorrent says the torrent is finished and seeding, on recheck it finds missing parts and fixes the torrent then WinRAR works fine... Torrent is extracted and I use it... I am sorry to say your wrong please try again... I belive our other poster is on to something... as my RAID array is set up on the suspect boundry split he mentions...

Thanks Tymp...

Are you sure the torrent wasn't nuked ? I could be the case if the seeder has seeded corrupted data (missing/uncomplete RAR files e.g.)...

Anyway I got CRC error after a data copy between 2 HD partitions. But that's not really your situation... :/

No torrent(s) was not nuked, it happens to all torrents that are in archive formate since going to 1.8 I can go back to the torrent force a recheck and it finds the missing parts that it said were already there and it will download them and I can then extract the torrent. Not a nuke problem... Problem is utorrent...

moogly, your issue is not the same as his. It's completely unrelated.

Tympanicman, you do have a hardware (or driver) problem, as I download lots and lots of archives every single day (to a RAID as well) and not once are they corrupted after download. I'm also on 2003 server, so that's not the problem either.

If you're using perc5/perc6 for your raid, I wouldn't trust it, as they're notoriously shitty RAID cards.

Try torrenting completely on another machine. Not just saving your files across the network.

I am using a Dell enterprise level SCSI card. PERC 4Di

All I can say is that I had NEVER had this problem until I upgraded. !!

If you guys can get them to put the last 1.7 version back up or give me a link to that version I will go back to it and see if the problem goes away.

I think its piss poor when they pull all links to the previous versions and force you to stay with a version you don't like. That is almost like MS telling you you have to use Vista and if you don't - tough luck... Don't you think...? Or maybe its just that all the older version links from the utorrent main page got broken by mistake... Simple fix if they will fix.

*** JUST JOKING ****

Ok could it be Utorrent was bought out by a sub corp of RIAA or some othe anti piracy group and tracking software is now embeded into the new utorrent and they pulled all previous versions to launch a torrent ending program... ??? Once they belive there is maximum usage of the payloaded 1.8 version...

;-)

OK HERES THE RE LINK TO THE PHOTOS THAT SHOW THE PROBLEM:

http://www.moviefreaks.org/pictures.htm

I have changed the way the torrents are downloaded. Now they no longer downloaded to the NAS server RAID array. They now go to a local folder and are moved for seeding and storage to the NAS only after they have completed. I am shadow copying the files to check for coruption at the local and then when they arrive at the NAS to see if its in the Network trasversal that we lose the parts.

Will let you know what I find. Is there anything you want me to change in this setup that would help you more??

Thanks again,

Tymp...

I am having this same problem with 1.8. As soon as I upgraded to 1.8 .rar files started to have CRC errors. I did chkdsk and the drive is fine.

A good solution is to dwl a torrent with RAR files. When uT says it's finished, you use a freeware (google it) to compute CRC (or MD5) of a test RAR file e.g.

Then unpack the complete file to see if there are CRC errors. Then redwl the failed RAR file and recompute the CRC value.

Firon - My drives are fine no issues... Go to the web site link I posted and see the screen shots. Then take in to account that I have tested and retested the drives - no problems found, then add in the fact that I can get a good copy of the torrent by getting the missing parts from the same source and that rules out a nuked or corrupt torrent = uTorrent issues...

I am still testing by downloading to local drive and the copying to NAS and seeing if issue is in the way uTorrent handles a network transfer. Don't have enough results to make a post on issue - Yet!

:-)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived