Automatically enable the down/upload after time period.

SolidasRock

This idea i get it from Kaspersky AntiVirus, sometimes i have to disable the realtime protection, Kaspersky ask me to enable it again after a time (standard 5 minutes) or to wait untill Kaspersky is started again or do it handmatically. i choose most of the time the first option because i forgot many times to re enable the realtime protection.

So... i always forgot too to start the seeds again after stopping it to upload or download something others which have nothing to do with torrents (MSN Messenger: upload a file, or download a codecpack, patch, whatever).

So i asking myself, wouldn't it be a great feature if Utorrent automatically enable the seeds after *selfchoosen* minutes?

Guys, what do you think?

Edit: i am sorry my example pic of Kaspersky is Dutch

autoenable1sr.th.jpg

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The idea is same, but it isnt what i means. For example: you are download/upload a torrent and someone at MSN Messenger is asking you about a file. The file you send by Messenger will really be slow because your torrents are seeding (they are capped but it isnt enough).

So you paused the torrents and give the file by MSN. After a time the file is complete sended you talks further with that person or do something others.

At the evening you check your torrents and you see it is paused. The whole day it stay at paused. Thats really bored. :(

So thats why i ask to build something in to auto re enable the seeds after a time period...

There are many people who have to stop torrents downloading when they are working and everyone is looking for an easy solution either to automatically pause/restart downloading/uploading. Utorrent should suspend either when there is some net activity or some user input activity.

These things can be achieved with external programs of course. I was recommended to install cFosSpeed for example. However, its installer produces a big and bold warning from Microsoft not to install it as it may destabilise my system. I also think it might be overkill for what I need. Utorrent is all about not doing overkill!

The other response is "get a new router", which of course noone wants to do as it costs money.

Given that suspending uploading/downloading on PC use is likely to add no more than 50 extra bytes to the size of utorrent.exe and it is such a simple feature, I don't see why it can't be added. Checking for net activity is slightly more difficult.

Blith

Windows gives that stupid ass warning for ANY driver that isn't WHQL certified (which means absolutely nothing). Ignore it and install it anyway, your system won't get destabilizied. Trust me, cFosSpeed helps for lot more than just torrents. Try it out and ignore Microsoft's stupid warning.

There are many people who have to stop torrents downloading when they are working and everyone is looking for an easy solution either to automatically pause/restart downloading/uploading. Utorrent should suspend either when there is some net activity or some user input activity.

A great deal of the advantage of uTorrent is that it is small and you cannot feel it at all while working. Before, any generosity in seeding has to be done at night while you are sleeping because Azureus is a lousy program to multitask with. If you keep stopping it every time someone touches a key or when you turn on the E-mail, it loses that nicety. And if you try and analyze computer loads, that means an algorithm, which translates to BLOAT.

Honestly, guys, there is a "Pause all torrents" button right there if you really need it. It isn't that hard to use.

These things can be achieved with external programs of course. I was recommended to install cFosSpeed for example. However, its installer produces a big and bold warning from Microsoft not to install it as it may destabilise my system. I also think it might be overkill for what I need. Utorrent is all about not doing overkill!

Don't panic. Lots of things aren't Microsoft approved. MS doesn't have time to approve everything.

cFosSpeed allows you to use 100% of your bandwidth during a pure seed situation. I do that, and I don't even feel the "Upload Pinch" these days - uTorrent doesn't pinch in resources, but there is no getting around the fact an upload to max capacity means a blocked pipe which degrades ACK response. cFosSpeed gets around that for you, so you can be a even more generous seeder. On the 31st (last discount day), I plan to fork out the 9 Euros for it assuming it doesn't suddenly start crashing my computer or something.

SolidasRock. When you wanna upload, why don't you go into your Scheduler, and designate just that hour you are in to upload at 6kB/s (the minimum before DL crimping begins).

Or just get Cfosspeed and arrange for your MSN transfers to have more priority?

Or you can just be a bit more careful. If everybody tries to have his weak spots solved with extra code, soon uTorrent will become bloatware.

sight.... is it really so hard to understand what i am talking about?

i guess so.... How i can use scheduler if i dont know WHEN i have to upload or download to MSN Messenger? If i now capped al my torrents to 6 kb/s between some pinned hours from now. i will spent 3 or 4 weeks to get my ratio back to 1....

again, i dont use my pc every day and not at the same hours, so i never know when i use the pc or dont use it. i never known when i need to upload or download something. i am not paranormal!

i like to see stop Utorrent seeds for any reason and Utorrent ask me when to go further with the seeds. So i never forgots to start Utorrent again after time period, so i dont loose several bits and hours....

I dont want to use detect programs, also i want to halt really everything when i upload something thru MSN otherwise it will take for hours.

also my opinion is when added this to Utorrent, it will become THE feature of the year no one other torrent client have it.

Utorrent is a great client, thanks for making it. i love it.

SolidasRock: What they mean is that you create a schedule for the next hour while you are sending the file on MSN.

I personally am for the inclusion of this feature, in the form of a "Pause torrent for time.." feature that pops up a dialog asking how many minutes to pause for. It would be useful for me but I can understand the anti-bloatware argument and it's not something so important that I would suggest it myself. :)

SolidasRock you can *sort of* implement my version of your feature as a separate program...try it for yourself - I will do it but I am snowed under with work right now. The relevant API calls are CreateProcess, TerminateProcess, GetLastInputInfo. Basically kill utorrent when you move the mouse and then restart it after 30 minutes idle. Put the finished prog into one of the autorun registry keys.

Cheers

Blith

How about a different icon in the system tray when all torrents are paused.

thing is if you paused all torrents and close the window and do something else and get distracted and come back a few hours later to find uT still sat there waiting.

Everyone does it, at some time.

As I understood SolidasRock's original post, he wanted a reminder popup to say that uTorrent is still paused.

As later was stated, it is desirable that uT sits in tha background appearing to do loads of nothing very much.

I can appreciate that - the KISS method.

just my thoughts.

SolidasRock you can *sort of* implement my version of your feature as a separate program...try it for yourself - I will do it but I am snowed under with work right now. The relevant API calls are CreateProcess, TerminateProcess, GetLastInputInfo. Basically kill utorrent when you move the mouse and then restart it after 30 minutes idle. Put the finished prog into one of the autorun registry keys.

I don't know API but I can see this concept working, however:

30 minutes idle? Why doesn't he just shut down the problem entirely then. If he's really working on his computer, the chances of him not moving anything for thirty consecutive minutes are approximately zero, which means uTorrent will never run. Even a 5-minute consecutive break is rare enough while you are working. Even if you aren't typing, many people would jiggle the mouse in thought and that counts as Input to the computer.

Also, when uTorrent is restarted, in my experience its torrents will be in a stopped state. So wouldn't he have to get his butt into uTorrent anyway to start all his torrents again? Sudden terminations might just also have the unpleasant side effect of jiggling uTorrent the wrong way - which may lead to hash checks when he restarts...

Here's my personal technique. I have a timer on my watch set for exactly 29 minutes. When I stop uTorrent (to do a clearing reboot, to upgrade, to transfer files to DVD ... etc), I start the timer. It is set for 29 minutes because IIRC uTorrent will dump my peerlist after 30 minutes so just to be safe... All other times I leave it running.

I'd also like this "Pause all torrents for x time" feature... I often forget to 'Resume all torrents' and it's just sitting there for half of a day doing nothing... And cFosSpeed isn't a solution because very often I need a whole bandwidth, so I pause all torrents and then forget to resume it and now we're back where we started... ;)

if this gonna implement please make it a default=OFF option, thats really annoying, pop-ups/notifiers.

you dont have to pause torrents, just Exit µTorrent, the active torrents will resume after µTorrent restart. run any reminder proggy to notify you to restart µTorrent or anything you may forget every 5 minutes. or forget µTorrent when youre at work.

NO notifiers, NO popups, NO extern program, No dance in the rain. Most of you go offtopic.

I only want that Utorrent start after 30 minutes when i stopped it. No idle 30 minutes. No other things. No bloatware. Look at the pic in the firt post, 3 question which you could choose at. you could also check a box which say "Never ask me this again" so the angry "idle.newbie" dont have be afraid anymore.

People, please stay tuned at my idea, otherwise open a topic by yourself and use your fantasy there...

By the way, we are here in the "do you have a suggest, have a idea?"-subforum? Well, this is my suggest. my idea to make Utorrent completer.

Thanks for reading this again....

I only want that Utorrent start after 30 minutes when i stopped it. No idle 30 minutes. No other things. No bloatware. Look at the pic in the firt post, 3 question which you could choose at. you could also check a box which say "Never ask me this again" so the angry "idle.newbie" dont have be afraid anymore.

I know. Which is why I quickly pointed out that similar functionality is already available. You can even, in theory, set the upload to 1K (though your download gets crimped). Setting up the Scheduler should take about 20 seconds, max.

And then Firon suggests a solution that will be better than anything that can be implemented via uTorrent - a dedicated program that will allow your FTP stuff priority.

uTorrent is a small program. It has to pack maximum functionality into its hull to keep from bloating. Which is why I tend to be all for extra functions, but not for automation, especially automation of something that can be easily and better handled manually. Not to mention similar automation is already available.

This is the board to propose. This is also the board to propose using existing software and methods so a new function (function -> code -> bloat). Or to argue it isn't worth it (low utility function -> development time -> less time to develop something useful). The final decision is Ludde's, but we can all try and poke him in the direction we want.

Limiting upload below 6k will limit download to 3*upload, so you can safely ignore that too. Whenever I send something to someone and I want it fast I just turn upload down to 5k, I don't find that the extra 10 minutes it sits before I remember to change it really hurts much. =p My home network is unfortunately too complex to best utilize QoS without buying expensive cisco equipment.

• 4 weeks later...

How about an option that changes the "limiting settings" to 0:unlimited when no keystrokes or mouse movements have been performesd on the computer for sometime?

you can set the Bandwidth to a value that is compatible with your normal usage knowing that when you are not using the machine it will go all the way.

Archived