Port/speed issue?

benisgreat

I have very recently started using utorrent and I have been experiencing slow connection speeds (currently 4 kB/s down, 12.8 up). After following the advice given in the mini-guide and elsewhere to no avail, I used the beta 'speed guide' - according to its port tester, the utorrent port is closed. Although I get a 'Network OK' message, I am assuming this accounts for my dismal speed. However, I seem unable to fix the problem (open the port). I've removed Norton completely and have also disabled Windows Firewall, which claims the port is open anyway. I have no router and am using a cable modem. My ISP, ntl, is not known for interfering with BT traffic. Any ideas?

Port test of 53535 OK using Azureus.

Port test of 53535 fails using checker in utorrent???????????

Looks definitely like a problem with utorrent and nothing to do with NTL or my cable modem. I have no router and XP firewall is off and utorrent has full access through Outpost firewall the same as Azureus.

Any clues?

Edit: anything to do with NTL users being behind a proxy IP?

seveb, I would be interested to hear what kind of speeds you are experiencing in Azureus. I've tried it myself and while the port test does indeed work I'm getting similar speeds to utorrent, i.e. slow. Do you also see a 'UDP mapping' error if you hover your mouse over the yellow icon next to the 'NAT OK' message? May be time to contact NTL and enquire about their policy on BT. However, checking the NTL forums at cableforum.co.uk many users seem to mention high BT speeds. Maybe it's just not our day...

Testport scripts on webservers most likely wouldn't work with NTL customers due to all port 80 (http) traffic being routed through proxy servers, which can make it so most scripts can't see the real IP address of the user. But if you get Network OK in µTorrent then there's nothing wrong with the port you're using. ^_^

i have no idea about NTL but where I live we have some ISPs offering service subscriptions that do block incoming TCP so you can't run any server(-like) apps . as they put it its for protecting the customers from hackers, real reason probably is to keep network traffic as low as possible lol. no-restriction subscriptions do cost considerably more of course

Upgraded to 1.4. Port checker still says closed whatever port I try but Network shows OK.

Managed to get d/l speed to peak at 630kb/s but averaged around +450kb/s I would say, for a well seeded torrent on a private tracker. Upload seems to be staying pretty constant now too around 58kb/s when seeding only.

All in all pretty good for 10meg down 512K up NTL broadband.

Also found I can leave my upload at unlimited. Had it at 47kb for half the download then unlimited for the remaining half with no effect on download speed. This was always the case when I used Azureus as Cfosspeed took care of my upload/download traffic shaping.

Shame the port checker problem hasn't been solved yet. The IP to report to tracker option suggested makes no difference.

Edit:-

Pictures show this is a problem with utorrent port checker

PortChecker_7be18015fc8281b299b91fed2a11456c.jpg

My only other suggestion is to try deleting settings.dat and settings.dat.old in %AppData%\uTorrent' date=' and upgrading to the latest beta.[/quote']

Where is this folder? Can't find it in Documents and Settings

Go to "Documents and Settings/*username*/application data/utorrent"

If you can't see the "application data" folder then at the top click on "Tools" then "Folder Options..." then click on the "View" tab. Now scroll down and click on "show hidden files and folders" then click OK. Like so:-

HiddenFolders_f971ca0406396442dca992db6f72ebc2.JPG

You will now be able to see the utorrent folder. Hope this helps.

Archived