My download limit used up.

Sue

OK, I am new to u-torrent, and this problem has probably already been covered; however I am not able to find it.

My problem is that although I have a 25G usage allowance, after 1 day, and trying to download 2 torrents, I went over that allowance and had my internet speed slowed. I still had not been able to download the 2 torrents and it seems that most of the usage was used by others uploading from me. While I realise that this is; and should be the case, it is totally frustrating that much more usage is taken up by this uploading than it is from my downloading. How do people ever manage to download a complete torrent without totally screwing their internet allowance?

Thank you, I think that was of help. I'm not particularly computer literate, and usually just ask my son to help me.....to such an extent that he has now told me he's going to be too busy, lol. So, I'm on my own now, so I will have to learn. I have to say though, that I do find some of these instructions hard to follow. They appear to assume that you already have a workable knowledge of the system, which I don't have.

uTorrent's Scheduler can be set up to run at fast, slow, or seed-only mode...so that can be used to reduce bandwidth use automatically.

2nd link in my signature gives more conservative values for uTorrent's settings than similar Speed Guide (CTRL+G) settings. They too should reduce bandwidth use slightly.

Thanks, I'll go and read it.

OK, I have read that, and now I am totally confused. I don't recall the drop down page mentioned in the manual, and I don't understand where to find the upload speed that I should have clicked on. Is that the "Global Upload Rate Limiting? Is this where I should be to get the maximum speed for the torrents I am trying to download while at the same time limiting what is going out to other? If so, what should I have in Maximum upload rate (kB/s): (0: Unlimited) and what should I have in Maximum download rate (kB/s): (0: Unlimited)?? Sorry I am such a pain.

Right-click the uTorrent icon in the system tray (next to the clock), there's an "upload limit" menu. That's the easiest way to set it (it will also set it in your preferences for you). Set it to no more than 80% of your upload capacity (depensd on what internet plan you bought), and no less than 10Kb/s (or it will also slow your download speed).

Download speed should usually be set to unlimited.

Forget about the scheduler. Unless your ISP imposes penalties for "prime time" usage, you probably don't need that.

-fm

Archived