How Do You Block Your Ip Address?

xUnderOathx

I think he meant "hide his IP".

Maybe use a proxy but with bitto, it's not a good advice (bandwith). Active encryption and maybe if you can Teredo support in uT.

In addition, use a powerfull ipfilter.dat to block unwanted IP like MediaDefender and these other firms who collect IP on p2p networks.

Personally, I use an ipfilter file from emule project with 30000 filtered IP.

http://emulepawcio.sourceforge.net/nieuwe_site/Ipfilter_fakes/ipfilter.zip (upadted Aug. 08)

http://www.emule-zenzone.com/modules/pbboard/files/ipfilter.dat

Maybe lost of IP are useless but it's a start of protection.

PS: and try to stay "relax" during 1 or 2 months, avoid risky content, use private trackers etc...

I have verified that a socks5 proxy (like torrentprivacy) will not give out your real IP if you disable DHT. peer discovery, peer exchange, and enter the proxy's hostname in the "IP / Hostname to report to tracker:" window in the uTorrent preferences. I have a hardware firewall which makes it easy for me to see who the computer is talking to - and I also examined the peer lists from the trackers as I was running. Unfortunately torrentprivacy.com, torrentreactor.net and their DNS servers seem be down at the moment? Fortunately I wrote down the IP of their US proxy server and am able to still connect to the proxy via direct IP. :-)

IPfilter.dat is useless in keeping your real IP off the trackers. I do use ipfilter.dat to block useless connection attempts to private IPs with these entries:

10.0.0.0 – 10.255.255.255

172.16.0.0 – 172.31.255.255

192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255

I also block my proxy's IP as uTorrent seems to not know enough to not try to connect with itself? Is that a bug? But, if I can ever figure out how to get incoming connections working and I can get other users of the proxy to enable incoming connections I"ll have to take that out to talk to those other peers on the proxy.

If I don't enter the proxy's hostname in the "IP / Hostname to report to tracker:" window (leaving that window blank) some trackers list my private IP (192.168.1.77:55555) instead of <proxyIP>:55555 . While that doesn't give out the "real" IP assigned by my ISP (and traceable back to me) it does pollute the swarm with a bogus unconnectable peer and if I ever get incoming connections to work via proxy peers won't be able to find me via those trackers.

Another weirdie is if I enter the hostname of the proxy instead of the IP and the DNS for that host is down the tracker gets 0.0.0.0:55555 ! The DNS for torrentproxy is down today which is why I saw that. My understanding is that most (newer?) trackers record the IP that you connect from and ignore what you entered in that window, which in this case would be the proxy's IP which is the desired result. Some (older?) trackers record the IP you send them - and I'm guessing that if you don't fill in the window uTorrent just sends your computer's IP which in my case is the private one I got from my router's DHCP.

Well, then how did the tracker get my PC IP = 192.168.1.77:55555 ? I can't see how it would know it unless uTorrent was sending it? I have seen other private IP's in the peer lists also. I put the private IP ranges into my ipfilter.dat file so that uTorrent doesn't waste its time trying to connect to them. I'm running my proxy client in verbose mode so I can see who it's trying to connect to. :-)

Yes, the stock setup of TorrentPrivacy doesn't accept local connections unless you leave DHT and the peer stuff enabled - but then the incoming connections are coming straight in to your "real" IP and not through the proxy. Than's why I'm trying tp figure out how to get a port on the proxy forwarded back to my PC. While the present speed is acceptable to me I'd like to "play nice" if I can. :-)

I haven't looked at what relakks does yet - it is a VPN service so I don't know if it will work with uPNP or some other way to ask for a port?

• 2 months later...

reply just to confirm RoadRanger observation. without filling in the hostname the proxy wont work. i am using the 1.8 build 11813.

moreover i want to confirm if the enable "use proxy server for peep-to-peer" includes Peer Exchange traffic? can i use peer exchange without disclosing my ip?

then there is a point i am not clear: then peer exchange should be a function supported by TCP, and its traffic should be well processed by the socks and would not disclose my IP. This is why i ask in the first place... perhaps i need to experiment a little to see if i get connected to peer in some strange ways.

PEX simply sends a portion of your peer list out to other PEX-compatible peers. If it happens to contain your real IP, then your real IP will be propogated (how/whether your real IP can somehow get in there automatically, I don't know).

PEX itself is a part of peer communication, so it should get proxied if peer-to-peer traffic is be proxied.

Dunno, but I'm not really seeing why banned IPs should/would not be propogated through PEX. That you ban an IP doesn't mean you should prevent other peers from connecting to it. For all µTorrent knows/cares about, you may have banned the peer not because the peer is in a malicious range -- why should other peers not be informed of such peers just because you don't want to connect to it, right?

And even if you ban a peer because of hashfails, what happens when you banned it not because the peer is actually a poisoner, but because your hardware was bad? That'd cause a slight bottleneck in peer IP propogation for the wrong reasons. Really, not sending an IP through PEX because the IP is banned would basically be a passive form of the request to allow peers to share banned IP lists with one another so that they can all collectively ban the peer (not a good idea).

[/mind-dump]

Well PEX isn't that robust a sharing mechanism in uTorrent as-is, it only holds/stores 200 IPs. I've cached well over 10x that in Transmission on slow torrents (monstrous ones like heroes are of course higher).

It's more efficient than DHT and uses less resources than tracker communication... but really, this is all outside the scope of the question at hand. Only the team knows the answers to the posed questions. But I'd hardly call the absence of something proof of the opposite :P

I wasn't trying to prove anything, which is exactly why I started/ended my post the way I did.

PEX doesn't have its own dedicated storage. Any peer µTorrent receives through PEX (or LPD, DHT, or tracker re-announce), it merges them into its internal peer cache. When it sends a peer list out to other peers, it selects a random subset of those peers in the cache (I don't remember the exact amount). When an IP is banned, it doesn't get removed from the peer list.

PEX is robust in that you use it with any peer you connect to (assuming they support PEX as well -- which is a large marjority of clients anyway). In that way, you don't have to hit the tracker a dozen times to amass a large set of peers (whether having a large amount is actually useful is besides the point :P). Even DHT doesn't return an exhaustive list of peers, so it's not that robust either.

Archived