How Do You Block Your Ip Address?

xUnderOathx

I am a newbie, so I'd like to begin with SORRY for any dumb questions I might have. I've been using torrents for a years ( user - no knowledge other than the basics :( ) ,but never had an isp block me until now. They said I was ( supposedly ) downloading copywritten media, which I wasnt. To avoid this in the future, Id like to know what can be done. I tried to read everything thats been said in this thread, but I just got more and more lost as it went on and on. Is there something simple to follow as far as directions for this? I just want to hide my ip , or do whatever is suggested, so that my isp doesnt ever bother with me again. I want to keep sharing my own non copywritten files but dont want my internet to be shut down ever so often, please help.

I am on dsl and I have a mac and mac router combo. Thank you

Interesting discussion.

There are clearly degrees of anonymity.

(1) Assuming that some authority is out to catch as many file sharers as possible with the least possible effort, am I on balance more likely to be caught in their net IF:-

(1a) all my torrents are tracked by OBT

(1b) none of my torrents register with any trackers and my uTorrent acquires all peers via PEX (DHT is not an option for me - it kills my connectivity)

???

(2) What is the level of encryption used by uTorrent 2.0?

(2a) Is encryption limited to scrambling some headers?

(2b) Is the entire traffic encrypted so that it cannot be unscrambled by a determined ISP?

If (2a), is there a plug-in that I could install that will get me to (2b)?

(3) Ipconfig.dat and PeerGuardian provide good entertainment but seem pretty useless really for fending off the authorities. P2P is a technology designed to pool the resources of small (residential) backwaters into formidable rivers. Looking at what goes on on my various peer lists, I notice predominantly peers with dynamic IPs. That's what I'd expect from residential customers. Corporations on fixed IPs cannot really tolerate P2P traffic on their networks by their employees. So could I somehow tell uTorrent to refuse connections to anyone with a fixed IP (accepting that I might be cutting off some of the fastest peers out there), which would presumably ban all those professionally charged with using their corporate IT to sabotage my file sharing?

(4) Does proxy-ing by methods other than full encryption a la TorrentPrivacy help at all if your ISP has taken it upon themselves to become the enforcement arm of Hollywood? After all, somehow the traffic has to make it from the proxy to your uTorrent (via your ISP) in unencrypted form, no?

Thanks.

newbe here as well.

Can this thread be summarized in some easy 1,2,3 steps? What is the suggested way to use utorrent so ones IP address isn't spread all around? Are there free options?

I see where something like ninja cloak or Internet Cloak can be used in getting the torrent from a web site w/o using your own ip address but then what? Can it be applied in the settings for when you launch utorrent & actually start to download something w/out using your own ip address?

I digress but I saw how my local newpaper was blocked by hotel software as being forbidden site-??-but by going to ninja cloak 1st I was able to get access to my local newspaper & read my local news while traveling.

So...are these sites only web based surfing options? How would these help in utorrent software option settings to aid in the more secure downloading processes?

Archived