only 100 kbps upload speed, is this normal?

Abakasi

Hi There,

I don't have any download (speed) problems (I download at 5 to 800 kbps) but my upload speed is not getting faster than 100/120 kbps.

Is this normal?

Sorry I made a whole new topic for this, but i see a lot of topics on bad down/up speed,

but no one is talking about what a good or normal upload speed is.

If faster upload is possible and you know how, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,

Abakasi

If you're on ADSL, chances are you only have about 1 megabit/second upload bandwidth.

Dividing that by 8 to convert bits to bytes and multiplying by 1024 to convert from mega to kilo...

That's 128 KiloBYTES/second theoretical max...of which ADSL cuts that down by about 5-15%, TCP/IP cuts it down again by about 5-10%, and BitTorrent overheads cuts it down again by about 5-25% (depending on settings).

If you're getting 100 KiloBYTES/second upload speed in uTorrent...you're doing pretty well.

2nd link in my signature to try different settings. The more you reduce your per-torrent and global connections, the more bandwidth is available for download/upload speeds...though if you reduce them too far then the few remaining peers+seeds you connect to won't max it out. So it's a balancing act. And if you get 1 really fast peer or seed, you may max out your download from just it alone. :)

Hi Switeck. I made the huge mistake to think my 1 mbit/s is 1 mbyte/s.

So the first part of your reply was enough.

Are you someone of uTorrent? You think it's wise to delete the post , if possible,

or put it on 'solved' or something?

But still thanks for the help, I found some other things i wanted to know too.

Cheers,

A

Many people who just got broadband think their upload is supposed to be as fast as their download or confuse bits for bytes and KiloBYTES for megabits.

I just go by which posts I've already read...and move on. A post that gets no new replies quickly scrolls off the first page and disappears to all but those who run searches for it.

Archived