Problems seeding, but not a program issue...

croove55

uTorrent is working fine, and I've downloaded my first torrent with it. However, my ISP is the infernal Comcast and my upload speed of course gets throttled. In retaliation, I have set my upload speed to unlimited. However, any peers that start downloading quickly disconnect from me, and I can't upload anything.

My guess is that they think I'm leeching by the looks of my (highly limited) upload speed, and they promptly remove me. I can tell that there are plenty of people seeding(43) and downloading(23 on the peer list) the file, but my connection is promptly disregarded. I'm just worried my download/upload ratio. It will literally take somewhere around a few years at this rate to hit a ratio of 1 (I'm currently at 0.047) , and I don't want to be a jerk. Any solutions?

Speed hardly matters. :P

Choose FORCED encryption outgoing, and disable legacy (unencrypted) connections incoming.

Sometimes enabling legacy connections incoming doesn't seem to hurt...as ComCast allows 1 or 2 of them for some reason.

DISABLE: UPnP, NAT-PMP LPD, DHT (both kinds!), and Resolve IPs (right-click in PEERS window on an active torrent).

That should eliminate UDP packets from uTorrent. You only need to port forward TCP this way. Some routers do not handle UDP and TCP forwarded to the same port reliably.

Keep Peer Exchange enabled...it should be encrypted due to above settings.

Lower net.max_halfopen to only 1-4. (Constantly making 4 new connections outgoing at once should be enough if uTorrent is not firewalled!) Even setting it to 0 for awhile may make SandVine less likely to disconnect when you put it back to 1.

You need to leave upload capacity for sending back ACK packets (which is sort of like a "yes, got that packet, send the next one now"). Without this, no TCP communication can complete, and you keep requesting the same packet over and over until the computer at the other end gives up on you.

-fm

i am new to the world of torrents. can anyone help me with the ideal download/upload ratio? i currently stand at 0.932... also, how do i seed? the steps i followed are given below:

1) file->add torrent (no default save)

2) selected torrent and clicked open

3) i get a dialog box that says: "the torrent you are trying to add is already in the list of torrents. do you want to load the trackers from it?"

the options i have are yes and no.

what's the meaning of this error and what is the meaning of tracker??? what am i expected to select(yes/no)???

if i want to go ahead and seed the torrent... how do i do it????

thanks a lot for your support

Simply leave your torrent running until the upload quantity matches the download quantity, and you achieve a 1:1 ratio.

With fast torrents, it is inevitable that when you have completed downloading, you ratio will be poor; it's expected. But so long as you leave the torrent uploading long enough, your ratio will, in time, equalize.

-fm

Archived