UTorrent 1.8 ignoring priority?

smartware

I have a torrent at high priority, ETA 38 minutes. All other torrents are paused. I release one more torrent at normal priority. ETA on the high priority torrent quickly rises to 67 minutes. I Release 5 more torrents at low priority. ETA on the high priority torrent rises to over 3h. Why does running low/normal priority torrents impact the ETA of high priority torrents so significantly? (Note that reported down speed for the high priority torrent also reduces in proportion when the lower priority ones are released - it doesn't appear to be just a mis-reporting of ETA.)

Bandwidth allocation affects upload rates only. µTorrent attempts to balance upload rates sensibly, even given bandwidth allocation settings; it'll give each upload slot a minimum upload rate, and the excess bandwidth is then governed by the bandwidth allocation.

By starting to many torrents simultaneously, you're decreasing the amount of bandwidth governed by bandwidth allocation because you're eating away at excess bandwidth with the additional upload slots you're opening (which have something of a mandatory minimum).

Moral: don't start so many torrents arbitrarily. And follow the Speed Guide's recommendations.

Thanks for the reply. I don't see any high/medium/low in the bandwidth section of the options, so I assume you are talking about the priority setting for the individual files? (Certainly that's the priority setting I was talking about).

I'm not sure what you mean by "so many torrents". The problem is apparent with just two torrents running - one at high priority and one at normal or low priority. I would have hoped that the high priority one would have still been given whatever resources it needed to u/l and d/l as quickly as it could, with the normal/low priority one only getting what bandwidth was left. I would not have expected that a single lower-priority torrent would impact a high priority one by such a significant amount.

Archived