Slow speeds with big torrents?? Help, otherwise its so fast!

07mackenzie

Hey all, I have an odd problem. I just had download speeds of 1.5MB/s yesterday with a small torrent, but now Im downloading something bigger than 4GB and its getting 10kb/s max! It has 400 seeders and around 100 leechers! This shouldn't be this slow, but ive had this problem before - always the big ones are slower... Any ideas? Thanks

EDIT: nevermind... getting 800kb/s now, maybe just needed a few mins to start up :)

Very large torrents tend to download about as fast as you're uploading. Sometimes they're slower, sometimes they're a little faster. A worst-case scenario is a giant torrent with 1 very slow seed and 10+ peers (except you) all stuck at ~60% completed. You get really good download speeds...and 0 upload speeds until you hit ~60% completed...then download speed falls to ZERO. A new peer comes along and your upload speed goes to max...but download speed remains 0 till a peer (finally!) manages to get a COMPLETE piece from the 1 seed. So briefly till the new piece finishes downloading, your download speed may be really fast again...then falls to 0. :(

2nd link in my signature for more conservative settings for uTorrent. These should tend to help BEST on smaller torrent swarms with slow peers and seeds.

(NOTE: Settings are UPLOAD based!)

Archived