ratio issues

seeing

hello

i am not moaning about my download speed but...

my upload is through the roof, which i dont mind but, the peers that are using my bandwidth do not seed back to me

that is to say i am downloading a file with many seeds at 100% and many at various percentages of completion

the 100% seeders give very low upload rates to my utorrent client so i am thinking that said seeders are part of closed networking groups that give presidency to "member users" e.t.c..... fair enough i guess, i understand.

but the varying percentages of complete peers give low speeds and they upload very very fast from me. i am of the understanding that such peers are connecting as i am, via torrent file sites and adding said torrents to their torrent client

its like i am connecting to the leeching trackers convention 2008 >.<

i honestly do not mind seeding files as this is the philosophy of peer to peer file sharing but, i feel that i am giving and not receiving

due to networking conditions being out of my control, i am unable to forward the ports from utorrent

obviously i lose connections with un-opened ports but this has no effect on actual transfer rates and bandwidth usage

i have loaded an ipfilter.dat file from reliable source (272843 entries) and, i have added some of the ip addresses that have been leeching the funk from my utorrent client

but, where do i stop? i do not want to ban, or add client ips to the filter just to stop these leechers.

i have also set upload limits but, this in turn effects the download speeds but more to the point, i do not want to set limits on my upload as i actively want to share my files

is there anything that i can do or, is there anything that i have missed in setting up this torrent client?

any ideas?

thanks

bluetack is a good starting point for a filter but, yes you are right, it does need adapting a bit

RE: "Seeds have no incentive whatsoever to upload to you, that's why they don't upload fast."

of course, yes but

DL: 40 +|- | UL: 900 +|-

i deem this to be a problem hence me posting the above and asking for advice

thanks

feedback....

ok, so i consulted the helpful and very well put together guides and it appears that i had indeed set up the utorrent client for optimum performance

the port is not being forwarded to the router but this is not the problem

for example

File A | Uploaded 17.7GB | Downloaded 879MB

File B | Uploaded 11.4GB | Downloaded 486MB

e.t.c......

surely something is a miss no?

i A/B'ed the client without running the filter for sixty minutes without change

any suggestions as what is happening here?

You are connected to too many/few clients and are getting no good uploaders each disconnect cycle (default 5 minutes)... It might have helped if you were able to open your port... or not, since then YOU would be connectable and everyone with a possibly bad configuration could be downloading off you. Presumably if you're connectable you went through some effort to make your torrent client work on your connection.

Are you getting any hashfails? Check General tab http://utorrent.com/faq.php#What_does_Wasted_and_hashfails_mean.3F

the router is "out of sight" in the flat and is controlled by the housing association

i asked them to open some "gaming ports" but they said they are not obliged to do this so they refused

i agree with you yes, a full connection would give me full access to the peers that are sharing the files

but i dont think this is the cause of these super kind community uploads speeds that i am providing to the network

there are a few hash fails but nothing to cause concern (1,68M, 645K, 1.45M...)

the utorrent client is set up according to the set up instructions from the above link apart from the "green icon" which of course is orange/yellow

it is the first time that i have seen anything like this after a good ten years of using irc, torrent clients and other peer to peer applications

i dont use torrents much but, some files recently became available viz the torrent protocol which is why i am currently using utorrent

i will try some other torrents from the suggested links when i get home from work this afternoon

i will also try another torrent client to see if utorrent is the cause, which i doubt is the case but i an out of ideas

thank you for the feedback to all those that have added posts to this thread

your chart appeals to the masses which is right i guess but, it does not include every connection type

those links that reference ip filters that you posted are similar to the ones that i have read about people trying to quantify quantum mechanics which of course, is where the fairies live and is unquantifiable

i am concerned about the performance of this torrent client but, the files are downloading and i am in no rush what so ever to get them so...

it gets to me a bit though how we are now in the year 2008 and the modern world is still selling cable and adsl lines to internet clients/community

it wont be long now before the first fibre optic transistors are being mass produced

your chart appeals to the masses which is right i guess but, it does not include every connection type

those links that reference ip filters that you posted are similar to the ones that i have read about people trying to quantify quantum mechanics which of course, is where the fairies live and is unquantifiable

It's too much to include EVERY possible connection type. You must approximate based on the nearest matches if you want slightly better figures.

If you mean the short ip filter list I came up with, then much of those ip ranges are what the internet authorities ARIN and APNIC say are owned/controlled by monitoring companies. The list is not designed to hide your ip, but only to reduce the biggest poisoner ranges.

no, i was not referring to your link about the ip filters as it clearly says "those links" which is plural and not singular

i also agree, it is not possible to include every connection type in your chart hence me saying "your chart appeals to the masses which is right"

Archived