Re: **HELP! AVG and AOL Spyware Protection list uTorrent as Trojan!**

david_cujon

Hi, I recently downloaded uTorrent from utorrent.com and soon after the initial set-up, a pop-up from AOL Spyware Protection alerted me that uTorrent was in fact a Trojan virus. I blocked uTorrent on AOL thinking it would not affect the operation of uTorrent on my PC but this was not the case at all - in fact, I observed little (less than 10kB/s) or no download speeds and on four occasions - completely unprevoked - uTorrent restarted, which forced me to go through the initial set-up process again. I later discovered during a scheduled scan by my anti-virus AVG that it had also detected the Trojan virus on my PC. At first, I believed that it was a coincidence and the Trojan was not related to my installation of uTorrent but when I uninstalled uTorrent, a full PC scan by AVG showed no threats. Upon re-installing uTorrent, once again AVG and AOL SP recognised it as the Trojan virus. How do I overcome these problems in the hope that I can also employ uTorrent as my torrent client (one day lol)? Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks...

I'm using v1.8 DWK, might that be the cause of the problem? I can understand why AOL SP is detecting uTorrent as a Trojan virus considering that many other uTorrent users have also reported the same problem with AOL software, but I am genuinely stumped as to why AVG detects the Trojan virus subsequent to uTorrent installation. I am sure there must be thousands of AVG users who are running uTorrent without any hinderance, so it seems my predicament lies in the manner in which I have configured my PC. Anybody else experinced similar problems or have any suggestions/solutions? Again, ur help will be much appreciated. Thanks...

When the answer is AFFIRMATIVE, but it shouldn't be. Like when girls do multiple tests ... to find out certain things about their bodies, or when the doctor's office runs multiple tests on your blood. It's possible that the first time the test said "YES _____" but infact on the second run it says "NO". This won't happen with your AV without an updated rule due to rule-based heuristic analysis http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heuristic

So I'd write an email or forum post listing your 1) AV signature version (including all numbers helps them) 2) that it's the utorrent (including a direct link so they can verify helps too) :)

Right guys, I have removed AOL Spyware Protection from my computer completely and updated my AV to the new AVG Free 8.0. A full scan with the updated AV showed no Trojan horses but upon re-installation of uTorrent, I was still getting VERY low download speeds on well-seeded torrents (more than 1000 seeders to 50 leechers). Please note that I was previously using Azureus as my bittorrent client and I was almost always hitting DL speeds of 230+ kB/s on a 2 Meg line. Having rectified the anti-virus and AOL SP issues, what possible reason could there be for the observed low DL speeds (approximately 15, 20 kB/s)? Btw, my ISP is AOL.

I just checked to see if my ISP throttles BT traffic and the following results were obtained:

**Glasnost: Test if your ISP is manipulating BitTorrent traffic

Results for your host:

Is BitTorrent traffic on a well-known BitTorrent port (6881) throttled?

The BitTorrent upload (seeding) worked. Our tool was successful in uploading data using the BitTorrent protocol.

There's no indication that your ISP rate limits your BitTorrent uploads. In our tests a TCP upload achieved minimal 1 Kbps while a BitTorrent upload achieved maximal 32 Kbps. You can find details here.

The BitTorrent download worked. Our tool was successful in downloading data using the BitTorrent protocol.

Your ISP possibly rate limits your BitTorrent downloads. In our tests a TCP download achieved minimal 11 Kbps while a BitTorrent download achieved maximal 1 Kbps. You can find details here.

Is BitTorrent traffic on a non-standard BitTorrent port (10009) throttled?

The BitTorrent upload (seeding) worked. Our tool was successful in uploading data using the BitTorrent protocol.

There's no indication that your ISP rate limits your BitTorrent uploads. In our tests a TCP download achieved minimal 3 Kbps while a BitTorrent download achieved maximal 8 Kbps. You can find details here.

The BitTorrent download worked. Our tool was successful in downloading data using the BitTorrent protocol.

There's no indication that your ISP rate limits your BitTorrent downloads. In our tests a TCP download achieved minimal 25 Kbps while a BitTorrent download achieved maximal 15 Kbps. You can find details here.

Is TCP traffic on a well-known BitTorrent port (6881) throttled?

Your ISP possibly rate limits all downloads at port 6881. In our test, a TCP download on a BitTorrent port achieved at least 11 Kbps while a TCP download on a non-BitTorrent port achieved at least 25 Kbps. You can find details here.

Your ISP possibly rate limits all uploads at port 6881. In our test, a TCP upload on a BitTorrent port achieved at least 1 Kbps while a TCP upload on a non-BitTorrent port achieved at least 3 Kbps. You can find details here. **

I have no idea what the results mean. Can someone elaboate please? Also, I am really reaching the end of my tether with uTorrent - just two hours I downloaded a well-seeded torrent at the maximum speed for my line (I am on a 2 Meg line which equates to a max download speed of approx. 240kB/s). However, upon restarting uTorrent after a dropped connection the DL speed stayed below 5kB/s (principaly at 1kB/s). There is obviously a problem somewhere but I am clueless as to what - I hope the forum veterans will be able to provide an insight. Thanks in advance...Dave. I am using AVG Anti-Virus with Zone Alarm Firewall (for which I have granted uTorrent to act as a server and connect to the Internet). I am using Windows XP with SP3 and my ISP is AOL. Having used Azureus as little as a week ago, I can confirm that my normal DL speeds were between 120-240 kB/s with Azureus.

First, I wanna say thank u to all those who have taken their time to post replies/suggestions to my query - ur help is much appreciated. The problem now seems to be that upon starting uTorrent I get download speeds of 0-5 kB/s for the first 30-45 minutes, following which the download speed shoots right upto 240 kB/s which is the maximum DL speed for my particular line. Why is there such a delay in reaching the higher download speeds? Again, any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

It could be that whatever method of disruption is used is less and less effective as time goes on. Eventually, you accumulate enough encrypted peers/seeds that your download max is still about as high as it was before.

Do check if your upload speed fares equally well.

Archived