new ISP and more speed problems

weregoingunion

Hi, I'm living in China and I know that it has a lot to do with all of my internet speed issues. But living in several different places in Shanghai the speed was at least bearable. I've lived in this current place for about 8 months. The first 6 months I had China Telecom (the big one) and had tons of issues (web pages taking 5 minutes to load, bit torrent barely working, etc) so I decided to switch. Well the new ISP seems a lot better on everything EXCEPT utorrent. I'm quite sure they do traffic shaping or whatever it's called.

I've done my research and tested everything I know how. Port forwarding is not the problem - I know how to do that. I've looked through the forums many times over the past year and changed every setting people have suggested - nothing helps.

If I download a public torrent and load about 10-15 trackers from it, the majority will say "offline (not working)" and "connection closed by peer."

From what I understand, if I force encryption the ISP should not be able to block my usage, is this correct? What exactly is the "allow legacy connections" option? (I have tried with it on and off with the same results.)

Also, I use a private site to download a particular TV show and with my last ISP it would usually work relatively fast. Now it seems it takes about an hour to get started, connect to peers, and finally show some decent speed. Why does it take so long to get started?

Not sure what else to say about it - here is a picture of what I'm dealing with usually.

http://img521.imageshack.us/my.php?image=utorrentln4.jpg

If you load a public torrent with LOTS of unrelated trackers, of course they will say they don't have the torrent registered with them.

Encryption is in 2 direction...outgoing and incoming.

Incoming legacy connections = connections NOT using encryption.

Your screenshot shows that you were able to get over 70 connections. Check the ips in the Peers window to see if they're only China's ips, Asian-Pacific ips (this includes Australia), or rest-of-the-world ips.

My guess is...your connection to the rest of the world is just really restricted/throttled. It may not even matter if it's regular traffic, BitTorrent traffic, or encrypted traffic -- it will be slower than anything inside the Great Firewall of China.

Knowing that, you may get slightly better download/upload speeds with fewer connections. If you're limited to maybe 10 KB/sec down and/or up, better to spend it on file down/up speeds rather than maintaining bunches of idle connections.

Do a couple online speed tests while everything else is idle, both to websites in China and to the USA...and elsewhere if you feel like it. That should help you figure out just how much real internet speed you have.

Also watch uTorrent's Speed window for its down/up graph. This can also let you see how much peak down/up speed you're likely to get. Running OpenOffice test torrents will definitely let you see the max download you can get. :)

After that, base your settings on what you're getting...2nd link in my signature. They're upload-based...so if you can't upload fast, it's not really fair to others to run lots of torrents at once. :(

Firon: So if the ISP blocks the trackers themselves (which I'm quite sure they do) is there nothing I can do?

Switeck: I know that if I load a huge list of trackers many of them won't connect but at least one should, right? Sometimes I download an entire torrent at 3kb/s without ever being connected (according to utorrent) to any tracker OR through peer exchange/local peer discovery/dht (not sure how that works.)

Look at this picture to see my ratios. http://img518.imageshack.us/my.php?image=utorrent2ac4.jpgI have tried limiting upload speed and decided to just leave it off. The problem is I can upload much more than I can download. For example, right now I am downloading 5 torrents at a total of 20kb/s and uploading 50kb/s. This has been pretty much normal for the 1.5 months I've been using this ISP. Can you think of any reason I can upload faster than I can download??

I have also checked the ISP's like you said to see who I'm connecting to. Looks like about 70% USA, 10% Brazil, 10% Taiwan, 10% Other. (No mainland China connections.)

I have tried an OpenOffice.org torrent before and it was quite slow, don't remember exactly what speed. But I will try again and base my connection of that, but I don't think it will change much. Thanks for the replies. If you have any other guesses let me know, but I think I've tried most of the things suggusted on this forum (and almost gone crazy.)

If you are dependent on the internet and downloading a lot, don't move to China. =)

"I know that if I load a huge list of trackers many of them won't connect but at least one should, right?"

No. Your trackers are timing out or failing for other reasons. I'm sure if lots of popular trackers get added to EVERY torrent idiots run, that those trackers are sure to overload -- so I can't say if the trackers get an error because they're not hosting that torrent or because you're contributing to their overload.

The earlier screenshot did NOT show your line reaching 50 KB/sec upload speeds, nor did you make mention that your line did upload that fast. So if I underestimated your line speed...I could only guess.

Possible causes of your problem:

uTorrent v1.8 for starters (try v1.8.1 beta)

Chinese crap-ass ISP and/or Great Firewall of China (can't help you much there except try encryption)

bad uTorrent settings (yes, really!)

possible fake/poisoned torrents (These are designed to not finish/download slow)

all the 'pretty icons' in system tray too...might not be good (could be a conflict with something on your box)

Well, I know that China has recently blocked thepiratebay.org which a lot of public trackers come from (many I use too.) Because of this I have been adding the list of trackers that www.torrentz.com will show just to test it out. I have added/removed trackers to watch changes in speed...so far nothing.

The initial screenshot I showed is when I first boot up torrent. From this point it will usually take 30-60 minutes to get to what was showing in the 2nd screenshot (20kb/s down, 50kb/s up.)

Possible causes of your problem:

uTorrent v1.8 for starters (try v1.8.1 beta)

- I have tried both with the same results.

Chinese crap-ass ISP and/or Great Firewall of China (can't help you much there except try encryption)

- I have added encryption which helps but I have to turn this on/off with some private trackers to make them work, it seems

bad uTorrent settings (yes, really!)

- like what? these same settings worked OK on the last ISP. changing them doesn't seem to help! How could every possible tracker on every torrent (from different places) show "offline (timed out)", "connection closed by peer", and "No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.) And most of the ones that will show working will have 0 seeds 0 peers. i never had trouble adjusting the settings the last ~5 years I used bittorrent (mostly in the USA)

possible fake/poisoned torrents (These are designed to not finish/download slow)

- same torrents I've used for years that used to work fine. other peers connected to the same trackers have HUGE download speeds.

all the 'pretty icons' in system tray too...might not be good (could be a conflict with something on your box)

- i have closed many of these with the same results. i am only running Opera, Skype (which I know hogs resources), and now Avast anti-virus. last week I was running no anti-virus software and the week before that I was using AVG. i have no firewall, just relying on the router.

I have just changed my connection type to xx/256 and it seems to be running slower than it was during my last message. all trackers still mostly not working.

Any time you change upload speed max, you should change uTorrent's settings.

2nd link in my signature gives suggested settings for uTorrent based on your max sustainable UPLOAD speed.

In your case, you probably can use 384, 448, or even 512 kilobits/second upload settings.

512 kilobits/second might cause a little lag and may suppress max download speed a little -- but it'll probably be better than running with no upload speed limit.

A high half open connection limit (anything beyond the default of 8) in uTorrent can also cause problems.

• 1 month later...

I am getting the same problem with my downloading speed. I have no idea what my ISP is but i always download at lame speeds. I am pretty sure the problem is caused by china's firewall cause i think it caps download limit to incomming connections. I have tried using proxies but when i do all my trackers say proxy connect error. Any help?

Archived