Installed router -- why is my connection still working?

houseuser

Hi,

I don't seem to have a problem--yippee! I'm a bit confused about why, though.

My router broke down last week so I spent a couple of days reading round on how to make uTorrent work as well as possible without one. As far as I can tell, it's fine.

This morning I received the new router in the post and after installing it I expected to find, at the very least, that my port wasn't forwarded--it wasn't forwarded on the old one, though maybe that's because the router wasn't working. I'm not sure. Anyway, I've installed the router and when I went back to uTorrent (where I've been seeding something for some days) I found that I was still seeding at the same speed (about 59 kB/s). Also, when I checked I found that my port was apparently forwarded properly.

Naturally I'm pleased that it's all still working, but can anyone tell me why installing the router didn't cock things up? I'm trying hard to learn how this stuff works, but for a non-techy in my mid 40s (and a woman to boot) I do find it rather complicated. I'd like to understand, though. If anyone can point me towards a good source of explanation about all this stuff on the net I'd be v. grateful. I've read the FAQ already.

Btw, I'm using 1.8 and a Netgear WGR614v.9 with a Motorola SB4100 cable modem.

Many thanks.

Archived