status light yellow

a_godden

I hope that someone here can help me. I recently moved and had to sign up for new interent services, (wireless dialup the only local option). I can connect to utorrent, but the status light is always yellow and the connection speeds are very slow. I have tried turning off my firewall (Zone alarm, where I already had excepts written and wasn't a problem before but I have been trying anything. I don't use the windows firewall), and I don't think I'm connected to a router (I checked this using the instructions at portforwarding.com and my ip addresses match from the command prompt and their website check).

When I test utorrent it says the port is not forwarded properly, but I'm uncertain how to forward the port when I'm not using a router or firewall.

I have tried following the directions for setting up utorrent and have modified my speed to match my dsl report, and yes I set the speed conservatively (tests are usually around 70kbit/sec and I set it to 56).

I have been trying to download several downloads (one or two at a time) and the speed per download rarely reaches 10kbit/sec (but does jump up to 15 from rare time to time). Also the longer I am connected the slower the download speeds tend to get and sometimes utorrent just stops working altogether.

If anyone here can make some suggestions, I am running utorrent 1.8, Vista home premium and the new wireless modem is a highspeed anydata adu-310a. I really appreciate your help.

Amy

2nd link in my signature gives suggested settings for uTorrent based on your max sustainable UPLOAD speed.

NOTE: Max sustainable UPLOAD speed is far less than max download speed for most connections.

Also try the latest v1.8.1 beta. Numerous connection fixes have been made since v1.8 came out.

thank you both for your suggestions. I am planning to have a chat with the provider and see if they have everything set up properly (just in case), also I will download the new beta version and give it a try tomorrow. I do understand that it's the upload speed (you have been very clear about this in many forums I've read recently but i agree with some users that it should be made clearer in the speed set up, I hope you don't mind this suggestions but it is a little unclear in the program).

UPDATE - i tried downloading the beta program but it says that its not a valid program, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong I saved it and then tried running the file but it doesn't work.

Also if I have to use this wireless modem dial up service is there anyway to open the port to improve my downloading speed? I will be visiting the provider again and asking them for help, are there any questions I should be asking or specific requests I should make?

amy

Archived