2 PCs on LAN conflicting utorrents

Alex Evans

My Brother and I have multiple PCs on a small LAN we have 2 running uTorrent. Everytime he logs on to his uTorrent my speeds drop by at least 75% and vice versa. we are using different ports and they are properly forwarded. We are both running XP sp3 and our modem/router is ambit U10C019. We are both using the 1.8 version. this has been an on going problem. we have 10 meg service. thanks in advance.

We Both have our DLs turned down to 500Kbs and our uploads at 200Kbs. We aren't coming close to our max. Together we aren't generating near as much bandwidth as one of us can alone. My upload tested at like 2-5mbs just depending on how the mood strikes it. I have also tried turning off DHT with no luck.

Your sustained upload is probably lower than that. ISPs often give a temporary burst of upload.

Furthermore, modem/router combos are very easy to crash out. You need to disable the router part of it and get a good router, or get an ADSL/cable modem that's ONLY a modem and nothing else.

I have tried several things including downloading another Torrent program. It is alright but I dislike it. It runs ok with my bro's Utorrent on. I was hoping to be able to use my fav. Firon you are right this modem/router combo does crash but when it is working it seems to be doing ok. I can upload Torrents at 200Kbs and DL files using IE at 1Mbs with no worries.... most of the time but I see all the lights click off once in a while.:)

Another torrent client won't really stop the crashing, as a lot of connections from anything will do it. What you really need to do is replace the hardware involved, or cap connections on both clients to a low number, as well as disable DHT, which is less than optimal.

Archived