I need some advice turning my yellow light green.

Jeff72

Okay, I have been using uTorrent for many years and I recently got a new computer so I am trying to get it setup properly. Let me explain what I have first. I am running Windows Vista and I have DSL from Embarq. Also, the modem that I have also acts as a mini-router and I am connected to a Trendnet wireless router as well.

I called my ISP service and they helped me to set my modem/router to bridge mode. So, apparently everything is now going through the Trendnet. (I am not too familiar with what this bridge mode does). So, I went ahead and forwarded the port that uTorrent uses in my wireless router. When I check my connection in the program, it tells me that the port I am using is OPEN and accepting connections. However, the light is still yellow and won't turn green and I am having some issues connecting to peers and I am getting horrible speeds.

This has never happened to me before... I have never had the port be open and accepting connections but the light still be yellow instead of green. Does anyone know what might be going on here?

Thanks.

I don't know what is causing your still-firewalled situation in uTorrent.

...But your other settings in uTorrent may not be helping things any. :P

2nd link in my signature gives suggested settings for uTorrent based on your max sustainable UPLOAD speed.

NOTE: Max sustainable UPLOAD speed is far less than max download speed for most connections.

If you happen to be using a half open connection limit greater than 8, that alone can partially explain your problems.

uTorrent v1.8 has a serious problem with its half open connection limit handling, even at 8.

The latest v1.8.1 beta should have that cleared up, so try it.

Thanks a lot for attempting to address my issues.

I am at work right now so I am not able to check anything out until I get home, however... I THINK I might have figured out what part of the problem is.

Like an idiot, I didn't set up a static IP address. So, I will do that once I get home. Do you think this might be what my issue is? Although, I would think that if that is the issue, then wouldn't uTorrent report back to me that the port is not forwarded properly?

I will set up the static IP tonight and then I will also check my settings on uTorrent and make sure they are what you suggested and I will turn off my firewall completely.

Also, I will look into v1.8.1 beta and will most likely download that tonight as well if I haven't done so already, which I don't believe that I have.

Archived