can't get port forward to work on Belkin router

mightisay

Hi all,

I was hoping someone could help me get port forwarding to work on my router for uTorrent.

my router is a Belkin F5D7230-4 , instructions for it here:

http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Belkin/F5D7230-4v7.01/Utorrent.htm

i'm on ADSL with Optusnet, using the DLINK 320G modem they provided.

the speeds i get at any time range between 0 and 10kbs, sometimes less than 20 if i'm lucky.

in the past i used a DLINK router, and after playing with that i got above 10 to 20kbs, on torrents with a good amount of seeds even around 50 to 60. i didn't portforward with it though

however, that router seemed to cark it (die) after a power surge while ironing so i'm using this belkin router.

i set up port forwarding, opened and allowed the ports for utorrent in the router and windows firewall (EDIT: i am using windows XP sp2). i am running no other firewall programs. i set up a static ip. i have configured utorrent appropriately via some other threads and the setup guide i've found here.

speed tests give me a dl speed of 1.5mb

but port testing says the port is still closed.

i have tried other ports, re entering the settings many times, and i have tried disabling windows and the belkin firewalls to no avail.

the only thing i have yet to try is directly plugging into my modem, but considering i can get direct downloads at a very fast speed i don't think the internet connectivity is a problem. also it is now 5am and i need some sleep, my bad.

reading around i have noticed it seems belkin is notorious for not working very well with p2p, but i'd hoped i could at least get a little green dot at the bottom of utorrent instead of a red one.

if anyone can offer any help or solutions that would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, apologies if i seem very curt or demanding.

(EDIT: i realise in my tiredness i wrote Dlink 320G modem, it is a 302G. hope that didn't mess things up too much)

Thanks for your quick response.

I looked at that link and subsequent links and while I suspected that my Belkin using the WAN IP as a 10.x.x.x meant something was up, the DLink 302G does not have any features of a router at all that I can work out, there is no link to configure the virtual servers or ports, or a firewall of any sort.

it is a DLink 302G version C1

(made a mistake in the original post, which may have indicated a model thats actually a router-modem hybrid. the modem is a Dlink 302G as per what it says under the box next to the serial number and all that)

i made my Belkin into an access point and internet still works fine

however, in uTorrent, the little red dot turned into a yellow triangle.

the ports i attempt to use remain blocked (48852 is the random one i'm using now)

================================================

some time later

ok before i posted this i thought i'd wait a bit longer.

since my Belkin is now an access point my torrent speeds have gone up from nothing at all to high (120-150kbs) with one torrent that has many seeds (17000+), which dropped when i started a few other torrents (30-60, others at 10 to 20). i imagine that may have to do with how the speed settings are configured, more exactly the amount of connections allowed.

currently it is set to:

Max upload rate: 92

Max download rate: 0 (unlimited)

Max connections: 600

Max peers per torrent: 100

upload slots per torrent: 6

connection type is 1Mbit.

i tried downloading Open Office as that was suggested somewhere due to having dedicated servers: it is around the 50-60kbs mark with another 4 torrents running at the same time.

utorrent still informs me though that the port is blocked.

hope this gives some indication of what i can do to fix it.

strange that the belkin router firewall being disabled didn't change anything, but removing the router feature all together by making it an access point did help.

(i had to enter mac addresses into it again though)

though i wonder if i should be concerned that it doesn't have a firewall enabled now if it turns out the modem doesn't have a firewall and whether i can turn it back into a router without it messing up utorrent. or even if i should be worried at all.

i've been looking on the net but can't find anything that helps with working out how the 302G may have settings that restrict the net use, like a firewall, and how i can change it.

once again, any help is appreciated.

some time later.. again.

ok an update relatively soon after posting the above, another forum and thread said through command prompt you can work out which ports are open and doing what, by in Cmd typing "netstat -na"

it gave a reasonably long list and the port i had specified for utorrent was listed as follows:

Protocol Local Address Foreign Address State

TCP 0.0.0.0:48852 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING

-more various numbers between here-

UDP 0.0.0.0:48852 *:*

i'm not sure what to make of this, hope it helps.

perhaps i should change my port to use?

Belkin routers are notorious for having horrendously low TCP connection limits (Even a windows 98/ME system's default TCP stack settings can overload a belkin with only one computer, that's only 64 connections).

ipconfig from the command prompt, if your IP address is within one of the RFC1918 address ranges with the belkin in AP mode instead of router mode, then the DLink is likely a router as well (with a firewall effect).

You get a better idea of what ports go to what using tcpview (google it).

if by the RFC1918 ranges you mean:

10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255 (10/8 prefix)

172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255 (172.16/12 prefix)

192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255 (192.168/16 prefix)

and by my IP address..

you don't mean the Optus (my provider) DNS:

http://request.optus.net.au/dns/index.html

Primary DNS server for Primary DNS Hosting:

dns0.optus.net.au 202.139.83.3

Secondary DNS server for Primary DNS Hosting:

dns1.optus.net.au 192.65.90.202

but; what my Modem displays:

122.109.XXX.XXX

either way it seems i don't fall into those particular ranges

or is it another i'm sposed to be looking at?

i looked up and am using TCPview with some.. interesting results:

while i had specified utorrent uses and opened port 48852, that port is associated with utorrent but not in use

instead utorrent is using ports 1800 through to 2100.

correction, 2500 now. just keeps climbing.

any port i specify with utorrent to use and open in my firewall on xp doesn't seem to be used at all.

sorry if i sound naive but what does this mean? that i'm doing it wrong?

i set the port by going into utorrents Options>Preferebces>Connection> Port used for incoming connections.

with the XP firewall, i go tot he firewall and under the exceptions and advanced>wireless connection>services i add the information

i'm not doing anything to the belkin router because its an AP right now, and my modem has no options for changing ports at all.

tcpviewutorrentbj4.th.jpg

no it is not enabled, one of the guides i read either about setting up or configuring for port forwarding said to disable it. prior to that it had been but it isnt.

switching it on now...

it doesn't seem to have any effect.

ok within minutes of enabling it my net completely died and utorrent ceased to work.

and its kind of refusing to work now.

mmm ok reset my router and modem and turned it off and its working

(EDIT: it is working at subpar speeds now, it started up not working, worked ok around 20 to 30ish, now is dead)

is there a specific procedure to switching it on other than checking the little box?

(DOUBLE EDIT: i had to turn off my modem and router again because the net refused to work even after disabling UPnP and starting up utorrent. very odd)

==============================

the IP address given by ipconfig is 10.1.1.5

which means my modem is acting like a router / firewall, doesn't it?

the /k part didnt work, but using the rest, it came up with:

an initial time out, then it went to optusnet a few times, to '.us.above.net', then staminus.net then utorrent.com

if you want me to i can copy paste exactly what it shows

but yes it went to multiple IP ranges,

initially the 198.142 range to 211.29, then 203.208, then 64.125, and 72.20 is where it ended up with staminus and utorrent.

ok well, to set my Optus 302g into bridge mode, i found a guide here:

http://www.dlink.com.au/tech/Download/download.aspx?product=DSL-302G&revision=REV_C&filetype=SetupGuides

as: Optus DSL-302G Bridged with Router.pdf (136 KB) Download

according to that i had to disable NAT, which the belkin router set up said to enable, and turn off my Belkin from being an Access Point to enter the DNS instead of it being recieved automatically.

also made sure i was using a static IP and the right ports were open in the router and my windows firewall.

now there is a green circle down the bottom of utorrent and the test indicates the port is open.

the speeds are doing pretty good. i'm not getting anything over a hundred but its going pretty close despite only running for a few mins.

close for a 'dedicated' torrent, a torrent with a nice amount of seeds is doing between 60-80, weaker torrents betweeen 20-30 kbs.

after a few more minutes the internet cut out. i unplugged modem and router and it didnt work, so i set the router to get the DNS automatically and it started working again..

could it be i maxed out my connections through the router which killed the internet?

(EDIT: the port no longer appears to be open)

OK, here's a possible scenario. With your port closed your hardware (apparently very finicky) can handle the connections since it relies on OTHERS to be forwarded. When you forward the port, others can connect to you and try to connect to you ad infinitum. This may cause trouble in hardware which 1) tracks connections 2) has bad software 3) doesn't handle high load well

Right, OK, when you make the modem bridge mode (so you only have one router) the router would need to be out of bridge mode (access point)... sorry about not clarifying that for you.

As far as the router configuration, yeah you'll need to look at it for configuring any timeouts if you want to keep the port open... Otherwise, it's the standby (turn off LPD, DHT) and lowering your connections (try reducing by 1/2 at an hour's interval (or until it cuts out)).

Hey

thanks for your help so far, i must say i think i'd be better off cutting my losses by just having my router set as an access point

when i tried using utorrent again, it started up ok then very quickly my internet died resulting in me spending 20 minutes trying to get it work again, invovling a hard reset and inputting the information again.

then it also refused to work as an access point, so currently my belkin is set up as a router again.

i noticed the belkin as the option to disable NAT, as it has NAT enabled either as a router or access point. i wonder if leaving NAT enabled in the modem and disabling it in the router would make a difference in anything?

right now i'm going to try and see if i can get utorrent to work at all without crashing again, it seems when things get better something worse happens, and not much is making sense.

(EDIT: i'll try utorrent again another day while meditating on what this could mean before cutting myself out of the internet access again, in the meantime any further insight is appreciated)

Archived