µtorrent steals all availible bandwidth

theed

Hi, I'm getting irritated over the fact that as long µtorrent is running, the connection is heavily limited from other applications than µtorrent.

For example:

I'm downloading a movie from an FTP at 660kbps while µtorrent is not running.

As soon as I start a download with µtorrent, the speed on the FTP-connection decreases to about 20kbps, even though the µtorrent-download only has a maximum transfer rate at about 100kbps. Even when downloading small things at 20kbps in µtorrent, other applications get limited to 10-20kbps. I can't even run firefox properly with µtorrent downloading!

I hope somebody has a solution to this problem

My connection is 8Mbps/1Mbps

global max up: 100

global max down: 800

global max connections: 200

max connections/torrent: 50

uploadslots/torrents: 4

scraping and DHT enabled

advanced options not modified

using µtorrent 1.3 (364)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

have not patched tcpip.sys, and no router..

turning off DHT seems to decrease the speed further..

i downloaded the latest beta and ran the speed guide, so now the speed in µtorrent is about 50kbps instead of 100kbps with rel 364, but speed in other applications is still 10-20kbps..

i've tried different settings with on speed limits and max connections, but no result there either.

also, when trying to access the internet with firefox while µtorrent is running, the CPU load hits 99% for a second..

I'm having a similiar problem... it seems to be becoming a bandwidth hog like some other clients. I did the tcpip patch, I have DHT off due to a private tracker and only have 3 torrent uploading... when I go to my browser it's slower than a 486 on a bad day. The minute I exit uTorrent, I'm back up to speed.

Also, try reducing upload bandwidth further...though no lower than 3 KB/sec per upload slot (and at 4 upload slots typical per torrent that means 12 KB/sec min) or torrents will suffer.

If you see considerable download speed increases in other programs as µTorrent's upload speed is reduced, chances are your connection is almost acting like it is half-duplex...that is if upload speed is under 80% of upload max.

The "minimum" upload speed I mentioned of 3 KB/sec per upload slot is just a guideline. By it, I mean it is bad to set your upload speed in µTorrent to less than 3 KB/sec per upload slot...it just spams lots of tiny bits of the torrent to lots of people and takes a very long time to upload complete chunks (which can be shared) to anyone. Also, if you're uploading too slowly to someone they won't upload to you in return.

A slight reduction in download speeds tends to occur as you near max upload speed for your connection on well-seeded torrents.

I have the same problem aswell.

I think the µTorrent programmers need to have a look at this problem!!!

It doesn't seem to have anything to do with the settings of µTorrent at all just the fact that it is running is enough to stop my browser from working properly.

I've tried limiting download speed in µTorrent, limiting connections etc, I've also tried using Net Limiter to restrict its internet access but nothing works except closing the program.

If the programmers can't find a fix for this, I'm going to have to change to a different torrent client. I've tried pretty much every client on the market and I like this best because it uses the least amount of resources. Oh well.....

Yes I did and that did not affect it and no I'm not a retard.

Anyway, I have now found a solution that works.

I've downloaded a program called cFosSpeed which is an internet Traffic Shaping program, not only does it make internet surfing and downloading etc faster, while giving you lower pings (supposedly) but it's fixed the previous problem with µTorrent. I have µTorrent running and it is downloading faster than it was before and my internet browsing is working fine. Horray!!

If you're interested its available here:

http://www.cfos.de/speed/cfosspeed_e.htm

I've installed first version 1.3.2.BETA and after few days I istalled yesterday version 1.4 and both version gave increased speed from the previous versions.I have nothing patched on my PC,I could dl with 1MB/s and still watch internet TV and browse on internet without any problems.The only function I didn't tested yet is seeding,I hope it's great like everything else.There's no better client.

BitComet uses a proprietary (secret) header encryption method that can bypass some ISPs BitTorrent throttling.

Since that only works with other BitComet clients, it is semi-limited in practice...however BitComet clients are prevalent enough to still see considerably better speed on BT-crippled ISPs.

Yea but the problem is not that he's receiving a speed throttling with uTorrent just that when its running it steals bandwidth away from other programs.

If his ISP was throttling it he wouldn't get good download speeds which he is.

Sorry cFosSpeed didn't work for you, it worked a treat for me....I've now got uTorrent running aswell as DC++ which always stole heaps of bandwidth and I can still surf the net just fine, while they both share download speed. Its been great!

Archived