Nearly 500 torrents vanished in µTorrent 1.8 build 11813

Pixel Eater

Intel E8400 @ 3 GHz

4 GB RAM

Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit

Verizon FiOS 20 Mbit down / 20 Mbit up

I was almost entirely seeding at this time. When I got home I noticed over 70% of my RAM was in use. Only uTorrent was running at the time. Everything was still running full speed. It felt a lot like a memory leak, so I enabled scheduler (if I don't do this, stopping all the torrents, I will be forced to recheck about 600 GB on reboot), waited 30 seconds, exited, and waited 60 seconds and tried to shut down Windows.

Windows sat there doing nothing and lagging badly, which isn't at all regular for this machine.

I did a hard shutdown, but when I returned, uTorrent was completely empty and wanted to update to 1.8.1 (12549), which I did.

Is there any way to restore my torrents, or do I seriously have to do it manually?

How can I prevent this in the future? I want this machine running a lot of torrents reliably.

My guess -- you have hostile software on your computer that's screwing with uTorrent.

1st and 2nd link in my signature.

1st one is for troubleshooting, and tells you what information you'll need to give us if the problem isn't solved quickly.

2nd link gives suggested settings for uTorrent based on your max sustainable UPLOAD speed.

NOTE: Max sustainable UPLOAD speed is far less than max download speed for most connections.

If you happen to be using a half open connection limit greater than 8, that alone can partially explain your problems.

uTorrent v1.8 has a serious problem with its half open connection limit handling, even at 8.

The latest v1.8.1 should have that cleared up, so try it.

I'm fairly confident it's not malware. I have the latest Nod32 Security Suite, at least use NoScript, and run checks often. I'm also near exclusive to private trackers, like What.CD.

Nod32 is set to exclude uTorrent.

net.max_halfopen was set to 16 by me before I got this FiOS. The FiOS and this high speed is new and different. I was uploading at nearly 2.5 megabytes per second.

That has to be it. I have a few more questions then, if anyone can help.

Does uTorrent keep sessions? In any sense can I back up its current state, like copying appdata and pasting it back in an emergency?

> NOTE: Max sustainable UPLOAD speed is far less than max download speed for most connections.

Thanks for the reference chart, that helps. Since this FiOS does an honest 20/20, is 2.5 mbps still too fast to safely upload?

Windows probably killed utorrent while it was still writing to disk, so you effectively corrupted your own resume data. THat, or you need bt.graceful_shutdown enabled to ensure that it's always written to disk.

Yes, copying the folder would work, though all you really need to make copies of are the .dat files.

More specifically if you only need "snapshots" of your torrent list, making an automated task to backup "resume.dat" would suffice. If you had a backup of resume.* in your .TORRENT/.DAT storage directory > 1 KiB it might be possible to repair it depending on your motivation and if http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=31306 can make the copying easier.

Nod32 has caused ALL kinds of problems for uTorrent, even Nod32 v3 can cause issues if other posters are right. :(

Yes, on a true symmetric connection like FIOS 20/20 you can probably get away with uploading at 2.5 MB/sec. Yours is not "most connections", it's extraordinary for anywhere other than Sweden, South Korea, or Japan.

Archived