Lossing internet and trackers

xj0hnx

I wasn't sure if this should go in troubleshooting, or here, so here it is.

I have been using uTorrent for quite a while now, and it has been the best client I have tried, bt lately it has been acting funky. If I turn it on by itself it seems ok, I'm getting seeds, peers, and seeing the trackers, but if I turn on IE for some surfing everything turns red, I lose all trackers, and can't open any web pages. I pretty much have to stop uTorrent, and restart my computer to get back to where I have internet. This is the latest uTorrent, Vista Ultimate 64-bit SP1.

Any ideas, maybe a new patch, or update that messed with settings?

If you happen to be using a half open connection limit greater than 8, that alone can partially explain your problems.

uTorrent v1.8 also has a serious problem with its half open connection limit handling, even at 8.

The latest v1.8.1 should have that cleared up, so try it.

2nd link in my signature gives suggested settings for uTorrent based on your max sustainable UPLOAD speed.

I am using 1.8 (build 11813), is this 1.8.1? I checked for updates,and it said no new version available at this time. I'll try out the settings, and the half open connections, thanks.

edit: checked the release page, and am trying out 1.8.1 RC :)

EDIT v2:I logged into Ubuntu and am trying it in Linux, maybe I can narrow it down to a Windows issue, because it did it even using the setting you recommended, and 1.8.1.

Edit v3: Well, it's smoking fast under Linux witht eh same settings I was using in Vista. Anyone heard of an recent MS updates that might be conflicting?

I am guessing that the 4 instead of 8 is helping as I have been using uTorrent for quite a while with great success until this started a few days ago. It seems that even know the internet isn't working to great, but after a few minutes it seems to equalize itself and starts working fine.

Usually around 7000kbps down, and 550kbps up. I usually upload around 30kB/s and can still surf the net pretty well.

I use

Global maximum number of connections 450

Maximum number of connected peers per torrent 100

Number of upload slots per torrent 5

Max active torrents 5

Max active downloads 4

Archived