uTorrent has gone crazy and is taking over my computer

jjjhey

Im on Windows Vista Home Basic. I downloaded uTorrent 1.8 a few weeks ago and it was working fine. Then recently it would not open one of my downloaded files saying

'Unable to Load "(file name)": Invalid Torrent File.'

About this time the uTorrent shortcut logo started to replace some the shortcut logo's of other files on my desk-top, quick-start list, and start bar. Also, when I tried to run regular files that have nothing to do with uTorrent, the same error message would pop-up and I would not be able to run the file. This continues even after I have exited uTorrent, which pops back up with the error message.

So I went to add-remove programs on control panel and tried to uninstall uTorrent, a message would pop up saying "are you sure.. etc" I click yes, then nothing would happen. I went to the original file location and tried to delete uTorrent.exe but it said "I did not have permission." I am the only user on this computer, and administrator.

Then I tried to run a system restore, but when I try, the error message comes up again:

'Unable to Load "sdclt.exe": Invalid Torrent File.'

I've tried restarting computer, ending uTorrent Process on task manager, and likewise its process-tree. This situation has grown worrisome to me, can anyone tell me how to kill this SOB.

I followed the instructions, copying the code to my registry

after which I was able to uninstall uTorrent.

Now all my programs that had the uTorrent logo have a blank white page as the logo, instead of reverting to their original status...

I still can't run the programs that were affected by uTorrent for example...

C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe

Application Not Found

Or files that normally open on their own ask which program you want to open them with.

I still can't system restore, my computer is kind of screwed up now.

What should I do, reinstall uTorrent?

I have no idea, and repeatedly editing my registry inline with the instructions has done nothing to repair the damage. I can't even restore, nor download new programs, such as uTorrent or replacements for the corrupted files.

What to do?

• 1 year later...

Hi all, I have the same problem, all desktop icons turned into utorrent files. I unistalled utorrent now all icons are blank/white and won't open, internet explorer is inoperable. I have Windows 7, anybody have an idea how to fix this? I've already tried restore/reinstall Windows 7, it changes nothing. Seems I've done everything but format the harddrive. HELP!!!! ---Thanks in advance for any and all tips.

• 3 months later...

This just happened to me I went uninstall utorrent and everything on my computer is now a utorrent folder and I need this fixed now because I am an editor and graphic designer so Somebody from this website better CALL ME ASAP or I will shut this server down manually or email me NOW

• 4 months later...

Yes, I was going to say this sounds more like malware/virus activity and ComboFix is a gift from God. You should always have a good malware anti-virus package running and redundantly scan all downloads before running or installing anything. Better yet, use a test computer to check and run/install torrent downloads, my experience is a ratio of 1 out of 10 downloads is infected, depending on what type of download you are doing. My friends say that I am conservative and they believe the ratio is more like 1 out of 5 downloads is infected. Good luck.

Archived