utorrent vs bitcomet

kokoko3k

PeX might not seem to be that useful, but everyone seems to get WAY more peers when the tracker is down with BitComet than with any other client. :) I assume this is at least partially due to PeX, or else you would imagine it would be similar to µTorrent, since they use the same DHT network.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
the strange thing is that with older clients it never happened, either with utorrent.

dows it means that newer clients requests more pieces ?

sounds strange !

There is also another chance related with this one you said.

I've copied the note here, but if you want, you may find the source from eMule news page

Microsoft released the Service Pack 2 (SP2) for Windows XP a few days ago, which will be distributed via the Windows Update within the next days. The SP2 is supposed to fix several bugs/exploits and to increase the security in general.

One new "security features" limits the amount of simultaneous incomplete outbound TCP connection attempts and slows down all connection attempts, as soon as a limit has been reached. Unfortunatly this limit is "hard coded" and cannot be turned off by the user (while worms and other malware can easily patch some system files to avoid beeing affected).

Since eMule tries to connect to many sources within a short time period and a part of those sources are unreachable (for example if an user went offline), it is possible that eMule triggers this limit - especially when downloading files with many sources. This will slow down finding and contacting sources which could lead to a slightly decreased performance in general, however we are still investigating on the excact impact and will try to implement a fix/walk-arround into the next eMule version if necessary.

There is a patch/hack available which turns off this limit by manipulating system files (you can find it by googling for "4226fix"). We have not tested this patch and want to point out that editing system files always poses a risk. Therefore we cannot recommend this patch in general, but for experienced users who suffer slowdowns because of the connection limit this patch could be a solution.

peer exchange is dishonest

So is, in a sense, the things that many BTers download. If we agree to make it respect the private flag used in private trackers (like DHT), would that help?

PEx is a nice auxiliary and allows a provisional bridge between the 2 DHT system. Anything that increases our access to peers is a good feature and worth it. I suppose it'd be easier than implementing another DHT system in uTorrent too.

Yep, it was suggested that PEX should respect the private flag around the time it was first requested (I was one of those first few requesting it a few months ago xP). PEX would definitely be very useful, and will be instrumental in taking the cheating client down (or at least forcing changes in it so that it doesn't go down). Oh how useful a weapon competition can be ;P

An unified DHT system and PEX (for those clients that won't add DHT support) is probably most desirable, but alas, it probably won't happen... Adding another DHT network (namely Azureus') definitely sounds like it would be a nice addition, but for the reason I stated above, PEX should probably still be added.

He's a lazy fuck, it took him FOUR months to fix 2 bugs, and he was AWOL for like half a year or something. :mad: And most of this behavior is probably intentional, it's hard to make so many fuckups "by accident"

have you consider that BC is in development for years and ut only just started

maybe the author is busy or a bit tired now for supporting a free product for years and still getting crap from inconsiderate peoples

have you consider that BC is in development for years and ut only just started

maybe the author is busy or a bit tired now for supporting a free product for years and still getting crap from inconsiderate peoples

One has to admit the DHT-bug especially is a pretty critical bug. The only bugs that are worse will be the kind that makes it spit out corrupt data or something.

I'd rather have another DHT system than PEX

If you mean the Azureus DHT, then I really don't agree. More DHT overhead on top of what the current DHT has is not at all desirable. PEX is very useful as "glue", even for DHT capable clients, facilitating the finding of more peers (as I know from experience).

BitComet bashing aside, this is a needed feature if you are ever going to replace it entirely for many people.

What makes you think that Azureus DHT would add more overhead, but PeX wouldn't?

I think first we should get Azureus's DHT built-in to µTorrent, allowing it to act as a bridge. That would, in my opinion, make it unbeatable as a client for weak torrents. PeX would only strengthen this. Of course, no DHT nor PeX should be active on a private torrent. Also, all networks should be permanently disableable, just incase the overhead concerns you that much. :) I personally would put Azureus DHT at higher priority...

Oh, and about BC's developer running out of time; he can always open-source it or sell it. :P I'm sure some company would be happy to pay for it and stick ads in it, since he doesn't really seem to care about the BitTorrent network it wouldn't suprise nor bother me to see BC sell out like this..

Bitvomit being such abusive client overall, why should uTorrent support any features coming from it? Bitvomit needs to die and PeX with it.

For those who think about overheads, PeX has more overhead than even Azureus DHT. PeX requires you to transfer a list of peers every time it is used with another peer, DHT does not. Given that PeX uses UDP, the amount of issues with UDP-challenged routers would just increase.

Bitvomit being such abusive client overall, why should uTorrent support any features coming from it? Bitvomit needs to die and PeX with it.

LOLOLOLOL funny that is, but maybe just a bit harsh? Wouldnt it be better if the dev just fixed the Comet so that it plays fair? The dev obviously has some talent but seems to abuse it some.

well, you'd have thought he'd fix the dht "bug" a lot sooner..along with all the other "bugs" that keep it banned on private trackers if he really wanted it to play fair.

I really don't think the dev plans to "fix" bc..he only fixed the dht thing to shut people up and stop flooding his email/pm box.

It is possible for a program to be bad but to have some good features. Encryption is apparently what keeps a lot of people using BitComet (it allows them to get past some ISPs they can't otherwise) and any feature that increases the access to other peers is arguably a good one.

One has to admit the DHT-bug especially is a pretty critical bug. The only bugs that are worse will be the kind that makes it spit out corrupt data or something.

I've read BitComet can do that too if you set upload bandwidth too low and try to run too many torrents at once. Almost all the hash failed chunks come from either BitComet or p2p-corruptors.

nat-traversal is another feature that i will miss anyway.

What? So that the client cant accept incoming connections? Someone can mention if i'm wrong here, but that means no uploading can be done?

Of course, if by nat transversal you mean not having to do port forwarding, uTorrent can do uPnP, so if your router supports it, ut can automagically forword the port to your computer for the time that it needs to be open.

D

klaus_1250, you can't always access your router configuration.

If you're in a lan and your sysadmin won't allow p2p or incoming connections, nat-t is the only solution.

--

in italy there's an isp (mine, fastweb) which give internet access (10mbit half duplex) through nat, and you cannot forward anything.

NAT traversal is where, as kokoko3k said, you can still be connectable (sort of) without port-forwarding. In many situations, you can't port-forward at all.

I agree that PEX should be added. Not all Bittorrent-clients support DHT, not everyone turns on DHT, not everyone even uses the same DHT, etc, etc. Though DHT is a very good technology, it is not some magic answer IMHO.

Similarly, not everyone turns on PeX, etc... though I suppose you can still connect to peers obtained via PeX who don't even have it on. If you're concerned about the overhead, I'm sure it will be possible to disable it.

Almost all the hash failed chunks come from either BitComet or p2p-corruptors.

Everyone knows that all the anti-p2p groups use BitComet. :P

Archived