Recent download speeds averaging at less than 10 kb/s ¬_¬

Heila

Ok, I think the title says most of it.

Look I don't wanna be told to read this guide or that guide because I have done and they just don't work :( Besides, my ports are forwarded correctly and yes, utorrent is allowed full access in my firewall's program permissions (I'm not stupid) :/

This is only a recent thing. I've got roughly 3 Mb wireless broadband. I've never had trouble with slow downloads before until about one week ago. Usually, the speeds average at about 200/250 kb/s.

Are there any ideas that aren't to do with forwarding ports or firewalls?

P.s. Yeah, I've got utorrent set up properly. Seriously :)

P.p.s No, it's not just to do with lack of seeders and peers or the source or whatever. I've tried a vast variety of torrents, believe you me :'(

"roughly 3 Mb wireless broadband"

Firstly, that's DOWNLOAD bandwidth max probably...is it symmetric?

Wireless broadband is almost always firewalled and only an expensive and complex VPN can tunnel around that. Though uTorrent v1.8 and later may be able to make 2-way IPv6 connections. These are rare at the current time.

uTorrent's settings are upload-based, so if you used only the info about your download to come up with settings, you're probably using hopelessly bad ones for your connection.

Since you didn't tell us more, we can only assume you screwed up.

'This is only a recent thing'

I haven't changed any of my settings since I first set up utorrent so no, I haven't screwed up.

I've read these same replies a thousand times on other websites. It's really not anything to do with my settings. It must be something with utorrent cos I'm not the only person having download problems since 1.8 came out.

The port is 38477. I've never had any problems with this before.

I ran a speed test to get my settings, even though my internet is supposed to be 8 mb, we can't get more than 3 in my area. I assure you, my settings aren't 'hopelessly bad'.

I appreciate your advice but try to sound a little more like you're trying to help rather than just taking shots at me. Thanks.

It's set to unlimited. I've tried changing the upload limit but it doesn't affect the download speed at all. The uploading speed is fine, it's only the downloads that are suffering. The upload speed never goes much over 50 though. It averages at around 30 kb/s.

Neither is there a download limit. I've had a look at various guides around the internet as to what settings to use for utorrent and all my settings are the same as all of them. Is it possible that there's a problem with utorrent itself?

I've changed all the settings again. I completely re-installed utorrent and followed the guide again. Changed the port and set up the static ip address again (for some reason I'd put an ip address that just wasn't mine when I forwarded the ports). So utorrent is now downloading at 50 kb/s which is still awful but a bit better, I guess. Any further advice for how I can get it back to 250?

On a hostile ISP, you NEED to set outgoing encryption to Enabled or FORCED at the LEAST. Even the best encryption combination may only help marginally.

2nd link in my signature gives suggested settings for uTorrent based on your max sustainable UPLOAD speed.

You probably need 320 to possibly as high as 512 kilobits/second upload settings.

These settings are much more conservative on max connections than uTorrent's Speed Guide -- and better suited to wireless, which typically does not handle lots of connections at once as well as wired lines.

Ok so when I set the encryption to forced, the speed dropped to 0.5 kb/s on average. I put it back to enabled (how it was before) and now it won't go above 20 kb/s. I've got the right settings for my upload speed, following the Speed Guide, although it doesn't make any difference if I have it on 384 k (which is what it's supposed to be) or 512 k. Upload speed hasn't gone over 5 kb/s. I tested to see if the port was forwarded properly and it said it was. There's more seeds than peers as well.

I've had the exact same problem.

All of a sudden, without warning, about a week or so ago, my speeds dropped drasticly (used to be around 200 kB/s - 250 kB/s) to around 10 kB/s. I had version 1.7.7 at the time so I thought updating to 1.8 might fix it. Nothing happened. So I read through the forum a bit and nothing helped. I updated to 1.8.1 and that still never helped.

Thing is, I never changed any settings or did anything to cause this change in speed. I used to have unlimited upload and download settings and it worked fine for me (getting 200 kB/s - 250 kB/s). When I first got utorrent, I never tweaked anything and it worked fine.

Here's where I might have something in common with Heila, my ISP is AOL (T_T). When I found out they were hostile, I tried enabling encryption before trying FORCED when I seen that merely enabling did nothing. But FORCED didn't do anything either.

All my settings are fine, I'm on wireless and utorrent is allowed on hardware firewall and software firewall. (Nothing changed in my router in the first place though- so I doubt it's that)

So, is there any way this can be fixed? Because it's so annoying.

OH, and one more thing, there were *very rare* moments where the speed jumps up to 100 kB/s and sometimes up to 200 kB/s before I started trying to tweak settings and whatnot but I've not seen it since. And it was just temporary as it would go back down to around 10 kB/s after around 5 mins.

Irlion,

You may pay AOL for internet service, but your ip (that I see as a moderator) maps out to Carphone Warehouse Broadband Services...so even if AOL isn't doing anything "bad", the company they're getting internet from (Carphone Warehouse Broadband Services) may be.

Sadly, the only possible "fix" (if it's even possible) is to research ISPs in your area to find one that is less hostile...and they may ALL be bad where you're at.

Those very rare moments are either when the BitTorrent-crippling methods being used fail or are disabled. They may not run 24/7, so you might be able to use Scheduler and get better results at 2-7 am. But it will probably not be as good as it used to be. ISPs hate BitTorrent too much.

Ah wow, I didn't notice that thing about the ISP before. That must be it. Everyone with this problem seems to have Carphone Warehouse Broadband. Unfortunately I can't get a different ISP cos I'm stuck in a 2 year contract :(

I've found that in the evening between about 7 til midnight GMT speeds jump up nearer to normal.

I followed your instructions, Switeck, on fighting the disruptions and my speed atm is over 20 kb/s which is better than before so thanks very much for your help :)

Archived