µTorrent 1.8.1 released

Firon

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course I am running 1.8.1 (and so is that person).

Hostile ISP? - no

Poor uTorrent settings? - define poor

Crappy network setup? - explain

Hostile software on your computer? - no

I just installed 1.8.1, it doesn't work on my win2000 system..? (SP4 installed)

When I start the .exe, nothing happens. Task Manager shows it running, but no installer or program window or anything. End Tasking and trying again makes no difference.

Went back to 1.8 (build 11813) which works fine.

Any clues?

My isp UPC in hungary has once again updated their throttling methods, and the encryption in utorrent 1.8.x no longer gets around it. However deluge and halite's still work, and those are open sourced so if you could take a look at those and implement a similar solution I (and others) would be glad. thanks

Shaping is not throttling. There is already a thread about ISP interference http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=4128 Deluge is based on libtorrent, and both uTorrent and libtorrent share (at least) one developer. Given there is no update to deluge, and nothing in the changelog about shaping methods, it sounds like coincidence (the latest post in their forum is from JUNE).

I don't know if they updated how they work recently or not, just that now utorrent is 'blocked' again for us and those are not, so I assumed they use different methods.

When they first started throttling/shaping/whatever the traffic about a year ago uTorrent was in 1.8 beta and it was updated in some way to solve the issue (deluge was working fine back then too, while uT 1.7 was not), so I'm hoping there can be a solution again.

I can confirm the shaping does work at UPC (Hungary), Outgoing encryption is forced, allowing/disabling legacy incoming connections doesn't make any difference. Using the same torrent file from the same tracker Deluge works at full speed, uTorrent stays shaped.

Did you also disable: DHT, LPD, Peer Exchange, UPnP, NAT-PMP, and Resolve IPs?

Also are you running any RSS feeds?

Is your half open limit set differently in each program?

Different basic settings? (upload speed, max connections, etc...basically what you see in Speed Guide CTRL+G of uTorrent)

I can confirm too, that UPC Hungary has found a way to detect p2p traffic when using uTorrent. The local forums are all over posts like this. Deluge and Halite work fine but they are very unstable and banned from major trackers.

Long story short: Guys at uTorrent; please tweak something in the encryption so our ISP won't detect the p2p traffic.

Many Thx !

Archived