n00b, sorry, need a starting point.

The_Last_Confederate

I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge about torrents and their downloading clients. I downloaded utorrent and got a tracker for a program I wanted to download but when I try and begin the download, all the stats stay at zero and the availability bar along the bottom is just a big red block. Again I apologize for not understanding this better, I only started researching this today. Could anyone be able to give me advice on how to get started. Thanks again.

If you look at the tracker status, you should be able to see a message like "A socker operation encountered a dead network" or a time-out error or something.

I wouldn't be surprised if the tracker URL is "*******.prq.**/announce", and that one is busy most of the time so you will either have to be patient or find another tracker.

Hmm, what exactly does that error message mean? ("A socket operation encountered a dead network.") I got it yesterday on a torrent, might have been prq, but I was able to get the download eventually via DHT. Just trickled along at 0.5 KiB/s, is all. And there was nothing wrong with my network, 'cos all my other torrents worked fine. (Brief searching of the forums suggested that it was like the "network cable unplugged" in WinXP.) If it was a problem with the tracker, wouldn't it say something more like "destination host unreachable"?

Archived