BitComet and DHT

The Mighty Buzzard

Private trackers are so stupid. Haven't any of these private tracker admins learned anything from Lokitorrent or Napster? One centralized location for lawsuits to land on. DHT and Peer Exchange are the wave of the future. It's unstop-able. Why even bother trying? BitComet is the best client out there with regards to being able to exist nicely without trackers. Peer Exchange is the single greatest invention since BT was invented itself.

Private trackers are so stupid...... I dont agree here, they have a place and a purpose even if you have a philosophical difference with them, evidence is that they do exist and they do flourish. They are not perfect, agreed on that but stupid is a bit harsh and judgemental.

........BitComet is the best client out there with regards to being able to exist nicely without trackers........Agreed again, nothing like the Comet if there is a weak torrent and there is a file that you really want. Unfortunately its methods dont play nice with the private trackers and even aside from the DHT/PEX thing it has its issues and a lot of the private trackers have had their fill of it. Like it or lump it the private trackers are here to stay and wont go anywhere unless(until?) they get shut down. Funny, I never used private trackers till the Nova and Loki and Youceff went down, everything I ever wanted/needed I could get from those 3 places. Never needed to use private trackers and dont have to now but its just much easier for me and I dont mind sharing at all and can do it even on the difficult private trackers without having a big pipe.

Are the private trackers impeding full decentralization? probably. Is it that big a deal at this stage?? I will answer that with a question: Are folks still getting the files they want?? We are sharing files, wether you get there in a Mazerati or a Ford Maverick you still get there eventually.

The private trackers I use have plenty of bandwidth and much to my dismay has not completely banned BitComet. I say that because many times did I have my entire upload sucked up by a BitComet client through DHT/PEX, and the person usually just joined the swarm. So everyone else whose been waiting patiently got bumped back and lost their entire download from me.

So I started banning the BitComet when I use Azureus. Now I have not banned 0.61 yet, since I use this one a little. It's not fair for me to block it when I use it myself sometimes. But it's funny; I have such a problem on those private trackers with BitComet clients that I seed with ABC when I'm not downloading anything. ABC has PEX but not DHT, so I don't loose my upload ratio on those private trackers to BitComet users who will not upgrade to 0.61.

Private trackers are so stupid...... I dont agree here' date=' they have a place and a purpose even if you have a philosophical difference with them, evidence is that they do exist and they do flourish. They are not perfect, agreed on that but stupid is a bit harsh and judgemental.[/i']

........BitComet is the best client out there with regards to being able to exist nicely without trackers........Agreed again, nothing like the Comet if there is a weak torrent and there is a file that you really want. Unfortunately its methods dont play nice with the private trackers and even aside from the DHT/PEX thing it has its issues and a lot of the private trackers have had their fill of it. Like it or lump it the private trackers are here to stay and wont go anywhere unless(until?) they get shut down. Funny, I never used private trackers till the Nova and Loki and Youceff went down, everything I ever wanted/needed I could get from those 3 places. Never needed to use private trackers and dont have to now but its just much easier for me and I dont mind sharing at all and can do it even on the difficult private trackers without having a big pipe.

Are the private trackers impeding full decentralization? probably. Is it that big a deal at this stage?? I will answer that with a question: Are folks still getting the files they want?? We are sharing files, wether you get there in a Mazerati or a Ford Maverick you still get there eventually.

Yes BlackLion. I can't disagree with most of what you said. Reality is what it is currently. But I certainly have an ideal vision of the future. I hope we go towards that ideal.

By the way, you don't lose any ratio when you upload to DHT peers or anything. The client makes no distinction between who you upload to; you ALWAYS get full credit on the tracker.

Are you positively sure of this? I thought that was the major problem with DHT, stats not updating properly.

*edit* Nevermind, guess the problem is the download stats that don't get counted toward the person who is using DHT to download.

Yes, absolutely sure. "DHT makes you lose ratio" is nothing more than a myth. The problem with DHT is that it would allow "ghost leechers" or whatever to enter a swarm, but somehow people thought it'd make you lose your upload count to these DHT peers.

DHT doesn't make you lose ratio, but if the tracker had some sort of fake upload detection mechanism, it could make you look like a cheater. The uploads count towards your stats (ie. improve your ratio) but the corresponding downloads don't count towards anyone's since they aren't registered with the tracker. That makes you look like a cheater.

A tracker can easily act like a peer and do behavior detection and various other things, which is exactly what they're doing right now. There's also mistakes in the tracker announce, so that also hurts.

That wouldn't technically be the tracker I'm assuming - more like a bot running as if it were a BitTorrent client (run by the tracker admins, maybe on the same server). To my knowledge, the tracker can't do any advanced behaviour detection like that based on announces/scrapes.

oh, and AntiLeech: Take your trolling someplace else. I've said it before and I'll say it again: DHT and PeX are nice, but a tracker is ALWAYS better (except for it being a point of failure / legal responsibility). They are only useful as a backup. BitTorrent would be just another p2p network like Gnutella, FastTrack, eD2k etc, if it weren't for trackers. Go back to eMule if you hate trackers so badly. :P

Heh. BitComet is the best client to exist and keep working when the tracker goes down?

Sure, By stepping on some other people's toes and forcing them to give it data.

Thats like saying bullying is the best method of persuasion over Diplomacy.

You are exactly right LOL and that is the how to go along with the why, dosent make it right, but yeah :o

Well, Bitcomets DHT (and probably other clients DHT's aswell) has one lil annoying thing... on a private tracker, it shares your password aswell >)

(yes kids, imagine giving your carefully tended ratio to some bitcomet nublet who'd go in and leech your +20 gigs you've spent months upping... )

Archived