rexie

Hello everyone. I'm a newbie at this business so don't mind if I seem thick. I am.

At present if I download something from uTorrent it comes down in Vuze. I was wondering if there is a way to make this program the default downloader.

Also if I open the RSS downloader and enter the episode of the TV program that I want will it automatically download it when it is aired.

Thanks for any info.

Your answer was very informative indeed. The only thing wrong with it is that none of it works.

If I right click on a torrent file I don't get 'Open With ' and when I go to Tools in Explorer 'Folder Options ' doesn't appear in the menu.

I think you should go back to the drawing board and have another look at your programme.

Cheers.

You need to remove and re-add the .TORRENT handler. Until you figure out how, set uTorrent as the default application from Preferences, Ctrl-P and just click "associate with torrent files". Then save your torrents to the desktop or somewhere and Ctrl-O add or click-drag them to the uTorrent window.

The RSS tutorial does work, now that it's upgraded for 1.8. What part isn't clear to you?

Ultima I'm sorry that I didn't make my post clearer. I use XP Home and Internet Explorer 6. I know that I could update to I.E 7 but I have heard of problems associated with it and I have none with I.E.6. Therefore on the basis of IIABDFI I have not updated.

TLF thank you for your advice. However in accordance with instructions given elsewhere i.e. ' Make sure the " Associate with torrent files button is greyed out " in the General section of Preferences I did just that on Saturday and now when I go back to it I am unable to activate it once more.

As to the RSS tutorial I choose 'Add RSS Feed' but I don't know what the RSS feed's Uniform Resource Locator is so I can't add it.

Cheers.

Uhh, you just need the address for the feed ;) Many index sites have them.. and one nifty site which used to be in the search and you should check out yourself is http://tvrss.net It even gives you the RSS feeds you want from a custom search. It doesn't do all content though.

If it's already associated with .TORRENTs why can't you save the files and double-click them to add to uTorrent?

Thank you for your help TLF. I have just uninstalled uTorrent and then reinstalled it from some firm called Softonic Int. It cost me a couple of quid.

Now going back to your earlier post should I go to Pref - Gen and then click on ' associate with Torrent files ' If I do this it is greyed out so I presume that is OK.

Cheers. I'm going to have a look at the http://tvrss.net site now to see if I can make any sense out of it.

Thanks DWK. I didn't know there was a procedure like that but I won't bother. I've been shortrading for a few months and made enough cash to set my gfs with a place each just above Benalmadena. They only have small swimming pools but big enough. I just wish they were IT enough to tell me how to set this up as my default downloader but they were picked for beauty not brains and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Going to try to download Heroes tonight,the 5th. ep so don't know how it'll go. If it comes down I'll send you an e-mail to let you know.

Cheers..

Lol I wouldn't email DWK if I were you. Mondays are poker night... and emails disrupt poker :P You don't want to see DWK angry.

If you add a feed from the tvrss search results (for your heroes for instance), set it to match always, and update interval you should see it start to download give or take < 30 minutes from upload to mininova.

Thanks TLF. I really think maybe I'm not as thick as I thought I was. I set the downloader last night with Heroes S3E5 and when I arose this am the downloader window had disappeared. So I clicked on All and then entered Heroes in the Search Box and it came up with a long list of Heroes. So I double clicked on the top one from EZTV and that took me to Mininova where I was invited to download the Torrent. I said yes of course that's what I'm here for so that took me back to uTorrent in a download box and when I clicked on it it started downloading very quickly,it took about one hour for the 350 Mbs.

Did I do it all right or was there something else I could have done. I've taken on board your tips re match and update interval. Am I right in thinking that it does not start downloading automatically.

Cheers. You have made an old man very happy with your help. :cool:

What downloader window? http://utorrent.com/rsstutorial.php explains how to make an RSS feed You just paste the URL you get from a search at http://tvrss.net :/

If in the favorite you make for the feed (Ctrl-R) you have download automatically, it will download when it's added into the feed. TVRss is usually no more than 5 minutes off mininova, or you can use http://mininova.org/user/eztv to use THAT RSS feed. I would try again tonight with a new TV show so you don't have to do the search manually every morning ;)

You're welcome, I'm glad I helped you understand more. Please update if you're unclear.

Thans TLF for your post. I realise now that I've been doing it all wrong. I really can't understand the RSS downloader because its not written in user friendly language.

I'm going to have a go at downloading Ugly Betty tomorrow night and this is what I'm going to enter in the downloader window.

In Filter I'll put 'Ugly Betty'

Not will be left blank.

Save In I'll enter where I want it to be downloaded to.

Feed will be ALL.

Ep.No will be 03x04.

Filter matches will be left blank.

Give download highest priority will be checked.

Minimal Interval will be left as Match Always.

Label for New Torrents will be blank.

In Favorites I've put the link you suggested plus EZTV and TVRSS.

Can you confirm that this will be correct.

Thanks.

Your MATCH should be "*Ugly?Betty*" as I'm not sure whether it comes out parsed or not. This allows possible spam since it does not match from-beginning, however since you chose your source well it shouldn't be a problem, You can always test the filter you make on tvrss with a search for Ugly Betty, so only those episodes are in the feed, to get old episodes. The episode field is good if you expect to see old numbers but don't want them... but if you want to KEEP that favorite without changing it every week for the future episodes you will need to add "-" (i.e. 3x4- ) which is explained in the tutorial. What about http://utorrent.com/rsstutorial.php is unclear? It was recently re-written to be more user-friendly and directly applicable for 1.8.

Tks for your post TLF. My opinion of the RSS tutorial is that it is written for somebody who already knows quite a lot about it and not for someone like me who is new to the programme. In particular the advice for filling in the RSS Downloader. Why is the bar named 'Filter' named as such. Why not name it so that its clear that this is where you put the name of the tv episode you want to download. In 'Not' why should I put '*AC3*|*264*,what do these numbers mean. Save in is self explanatory. In Feed does All have to be in brackets and if so why. In Episode Number why does the box have to be ticked. 'Filter matches original name instead of decoded name' What does this mean. 'Smart ep.filter' Why does this box have to be checked. In the box on the left of the Window what do I enter in here. I've been putting in the names of the feeds which appears to be wrong,it should be the name of the tv episode,again why does the box next to it have to be ticked.

I opened uTorrent this morning and found that I was downloading 47 episodes of various shows and I don't know why.

What do you mean by 'parsed or not'.

I'm going to try and set up the Downloader for tonights ep of Ugly Betty and then print it here. If you've got time you might have a look at it and let me know if its set up right.

Cheers and thanks again.

Tried to put the Downloader on TLF but couldn't figure how to. Wish me luck tonight.

If you are using FF3.. what you need to do is launch FF# choose tools->Options->Applications and then find "Vuze download" which will be associated with Vuze/torrents. Click the little stacked lines in the corner to open up more options. Then choose "always ask".. which will at least allow you to tell it to use utorrent. I know this because I came here looking for the same answer and figured it out on my own ;-)

Now how to disassociate Vuze from the torrent extension completely.. I have no idea. Perhaps after deleting it (if there are hanging bits around) thru the registry and then another reboot, maybe, just maybe, all of Vuze will be gone??

**edit** Just hit "do this automatically for files like this from now on" when downloading and Vuze goes away!

Archived