Upload stops when transfering

halabb

(Server 2008)

I have 2 RAID0 arrays, when downloads are complete, they are transfered to the other array.

When that transfer takes place, my upload speed drops to zero. Download speed usually remains the same. Right when the transfer completes, my upload returns to normal. I've been dealing with this forever. It's annoying, can an expert explain please?

While it's moving, µTorrent can't read data from the disk (not easily/quickly anyway). It is, after all, actively being read by the OS in order to move it to the new location.

While it's moving, µTorrent can still keep receiving data from, so download rates won't really be affected (at least not until the disk cache gets filled).

That's actually exactly what I was thinking, but it just seems like it's unnecessary. I always have more than one torrent running that should be able to get it's data read from the HD in order to upload.

It seems like utorrent purposely stops the upload while the transfer takes place.

Perhaps µTorrent may need to use separate threads for disk IO when the drives involved in the move are unrelated to the drives needed for transferring -- I'm not sure. Either way, those disks that are involved with the move will cause slowdowns for those transfers that continue to use those disks while the move is occurring :P

Archived