Why incoming connection

bxf999

While trying to figure out why I'm getting the infamous yellow triangle (which occasionally turns into the desired green circle) despite having followed all suggestions I could find, I read the post at http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=9102 .

OK, it's not difficult to understand the difference between an outgoing and incoming connection. However, since the yellow triangle is telling me that I have no incoming connections (even though everything appears to be working fine), I can't help but wonder why, for a torrent that I'm seeding, I'd be initiating an outgoing connection. I would have thought that if somebody wants to download from me, they'd be initiating contact, no? What I mean is that since I'm seeding successfully, does that not imply that incoming connections were successful?

Thanks for any input.

BF

Nope, at all times, µTorrent is establishing outgoing connections where possible/necessary, and if you're connectible, it's taking incoming connections whenever possible too.

When you give something to someone, it's not necessarily because that person asked for it. It could be that you asked the person if he wanted it, and that's the idea here. It is a P2P protocol, after all, so sharing as much as possible, whenever possible is the desirable action to take -- making outgoing connections during seeding mode just means your client is being proactive about it.

Archived