Unable to save .torrent to

Atomsk1987

Whenever I download a torrent file I use the command "open with utorrent.exe" (I use firefox, tried it in internet explorer, same thing happens) then when in uTorrent 1.8.1 I try to hit "ok" and it always gives me a "Unable to save .torrent to ...*file name*..." error. How do I fix this, and why has it just started to do it out of no where, I think it started happening when I updated to 1.8.1. I'm running on vista. Also, if I try to save the torrent file, after it's done downloading, it just disappears, literately. And I've tried rerouting all the directories, but nothing has yet to work.

yeah, I have firefox opening the torrent file in utorrent. I can view the folders and files I wish to download (in utorrent), but when I click "ok" (in utorrent) to start the download, it gives me the "unable to save .torrent to *file directory*" error. And I know I have the permission to write to that file location, I already checked that. Changing the file directory doesn't work either, no matter where I try to save it, it still gives me that error.

Did you check the folder where your .torrent are saved ? By default it's in uTorrent folder in AppData. Anyway check in Settings > Directories where you save .torrent files.

Maybe try to do the things properly:

1/ create a new folder to save all your future .torrent files e.g. \Torrents in My Documents folder or AppData\uTorrent (as you want)

2/ specify the folder path in uT (Settings > Directories > first line)

3/ try to dwl a new .torrent from the web and open it with uT directly from Firefox.

Did you check the user rights in the folder where you want to save .torrent files ?

Try to do the same thing as previously with admin rights (run uT as admin).

Maybe your pbm is that the .torrent file gets 0 kb. Do you have the pbm with all trackers you use ?

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dam i am getting ' Unable to save torrent to' and it shows the file destination.. i have used utorrent for a good few years now and never had a problem like this.. I am running windows 7 which was working fine with utorrent. i did however download to updatedversion of Utorrent and i think this may be making the trouble for me. lol i have uninstalled about 6 times now and re-installed. i have made sure i deleted all known utorrent files when removing from PC. when i re-install i get the same problem. ...Neeed help very badly

• 3 weeks later...

This thread is probably dead, but it was the first one I found on Google so I wanted to post this here.

I have resolved my issue with getting the "unable to save .torrent to..." error in Win7 Ultimate x64:

Even though the account I am logged in as is a member of the "administrators" group, and the folder I am writing to gives the admin group full control, in both Vista** and Win7^^ you're never TRULY an Administrator. Running the program as administrator did not fix either.

To fix this, here is what I did:

NOTE: TO MODIFY FILE/FOLDER PERMISSIONS YOU MUST BE LOGGED IN AS AN ADMINISTRATOR-LEVEL ACCOUNT. IF YOU GO THROUGH THIS TO FIND OUT YOU DO NOT HAVE THE ABILITY TO CHANGE WHO CAN ACCESS WHAT, YOU ARE NOT LOGGED IN AS AN ADMINISTRATOR.

1. Create new folders on your drive, anywhere you want

- I chose to do them in my "Downloads" directory and I did one for Complete, Incomplete, and .torrents

2. Right click on each folder, click properties, go to the security tab.

3. Here you see the list of users or groups with folder permissions. Administrator, right? Hah, no. Anyway...

4. Click "Edit..."

5. In the new window, click "Add..."

6. Enter your username (whatever you log onto your computer as), and click OK.

-- If you are unsure if you typed your name correctly, you can "Check Names"

-- If you do not know your username, you can find it easily by clicking "Advanced" and "Find Now" to show a list of all of that computer's users.

-- You can add multiple users at this time as well.

7. Click OK again.

8. I usually do an Apply then OK, but just clicking OK is fine. You now have permissions to the folder(s)! And, subsequently, SO DOES uTorrent !!!(when run as you)!!!

Finally,

9. Point your uTorrent to those folders in the preferences\general, and once again you should be happy.

**Since I did this in Win7 I can't be certain if Vista will work exactly the same way. I cant' do ALL the work for you.

^^ This was done on Win7 Ultimate, Professional, Home Premium, and Enterprise should all work the same. Home Basic and Starter could be different.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I had a similar problem just a few days back and could not find any solution that worked. So finally I went on to delete all utorrent related files from my system then uninstalled the program and reinstalled it in another partition like E (didn't install it in system folder) and it started working again. So happy now, was feeling so crippled without the torrent running on my system. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• 2 months later...

look I have the answer to fix Unable to save.torrent (utorrent)

very simple lol....

-answer: open Utorrent and click File go to Options select preferrences and change locations to the drives you want them to open to.

For example mine was not opening because Disk (d) is my dvd ...lol took me a while to figure out that my movie drive was in (F) lol....so change in preferrences the location to the drives you store your movies music....ect what ever you use.

This worked for me so dont listen to the unimportant comments under this.

you dont have to uninstall or go to the forms.

Just open Utorrent and go to options then prefferences and change to the drives so it will be able to save them to rather the a DVD drive....lol hahaha ^ ^ no wonder I couldnt

hope this helps =)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

I'm having a similar problem, but not equal.

Also cannot do downloads. torrents from certain sites. I use Firefox but with another browser the same thing happen.

Start by getting so very slow to download the torrent:

94933148.jpg

…and after a few minutes, it gives me this error:

97735601.png

I just cleaned cookies, cache, etc etc ... I've done a clean install of uTorrent but the problem persists.

Any solution? This gives me nerve racking. :mad:

Cya. :|

Clearing the browser cache, using another web browser sometimes helps.

The issue can be your internet connection too.

Can you download a .torrent from this website (just save it on your drive, don't open it directly into µT) and try to open it with this freeware (http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=31306)?

Do you see some incorrect fields?

• 1 month later...

been using uT for over a year no problem but lately i get the same thing at random, not sure what the issue is but i found a work around for that. I run win7 when u get that message Unable to save just click cancel and go to ur download dir mine is default users/me/downloads and locate the .torrent file u want, right click on it and look to the bottom of the window under general, u should see Security: this files comes from another computer blah blah, next to that it says unlock, click that then ok and from there just double click the .torrent and it loads perfect. let me knows if this works for anyone else out there.

Archived