Queriy about limit download speed feature

OpenUser

Hi,

I have been using µTorrent for a long time now. I am on a 256/65k connection. Previously in version 1.3 and below, I would set my upload speed to 5kb/s and my download speed to 0kb/s so that I could always download and upload stuff at the highest possible limit for my connection (about 24-25kb/s for download and 5kb/s for upload). And I always seed til my ratio is at least 1.00.

I was downloading the latest version of Open Office with 1.3 before I upgraded µTorrent halfaway during the download. Now I notice my download limit dropped drastically from 24-25kb/s to 14-15kb/s while my upload limit still stayed at 5kb/s. And after using Azureues and µTorrent 1.3 ( which was on my thumb drive) just to verify that there was not anything wrong with my connection, I concluded that it was µTorrent 1.4 that was limit the download limit due to the new feature:

- Feature: Lower download speed if upload is set too low.

Exactly what are the download limits for the different upload limits for µTorrent 1.4? We know that for Azurues, up to 4kb/s upload limit, the download limit will be twice that of the upload limit. When Azurues has a upload limit of 5kb or more, then the download limit becomes unlimited. And is µTorrent's feature going to improve by implementing the limit in the same way as Azureus?

Thanks

Any upload between 1 and 5kb will limit your download. Your download will be limited to 3 x your upload cap. So 5 * 3 = 15 which is what your getting. It was thought that this wouldn't affect users with small uploads, but obviously it does you.

Are you sure you can't upload at 6kb? My calculations show that 6.5kb is 80% of your total upload. If you can upload at 6kb then you wont be download limited. Although Ludde is planning on increasing the upload range at which you will be download limited, so no Utorrent wont be 'improving' be implementing the limit the same way as Azureus.

To Ludde: would you consider increasing your download limiter to 4 x upload cap? Therefore users on connections like his wont be affected when you increase the download limiting upload cap.

A 64k upload rate means that in real life, your upload bandwidth is at the very most 6.3kb/s due to connection overheads and in good times. Even then, the upload bandwidth doesn't always remain at the optimum 6.3kb/s all the time and the maximum upload bandwidth of my connection usually flactuates from 5.3kb/s to 6.3kb/s. So, setting anything higher than 5kb/s usually ends up choking the connection. 80% of 6.3kb/s is 5.04kb/s and 80% of 5.3kb/s 4.54kb/s which would actually meant my current setting would already choke my connection the moment my upload limit dips below 6.25kb/s. (As you can see I have done alot of testing as to try to get the optimum settings for my connection).

Thats what I like about Azureus in this aspect(seems the development team did alot of research into the different sort of connection types in the world). While it penalizes people who purposely set their upload limit low, it doesn't penalize people with a legitimate connection with a large difference in their upload and download bandwidth which is pretty common in my country, Australia (some of the most common broadband plans we have here are 256/64k, 512/128k, 1500/512k).

In my view, µTorrent 1.3 actually seems to be the perfect version for me(and probably people with my type of connection).

Well Ludde will eventually get wind of this, and then we will see what he chooses to do. Anyone with a 128k upload limit isn't affected by Ludde's limiter, and neither are ISDN or Dial-up users. You just happened to be the forgotten guy inbetween the two. The feature hasn't been implemented for long, i'm sure eventually it will be tweaked to make all utorrent sharer's happy.

For the love of god please fix this. I'm on a 256/48kbit line!!! If i set my upload any higher than 3 it sucks all of my download speed from uTorrent (I usually get 25Kb), or, if it doesn't suck from uTorrent it just sucks everything else and I can't do web browsing. Can we please remove this feature or something and leave it to the trackers to cap people.

Thanks

• 1 year later...

ICleolion, thank you so much for your post. I registered just to say thank you because I have been trying forever to figure out why my upload speed would cap at 6.3 kb/s and it was because I was limiting my upload speed too much while downloading. After removing the limit on my upload, my download speeds went right back up. Thanks again!!

Archived