problems with accessing download folders and contents...

muzzbait

hello all...

i'm having a few problems with my external harddrive. you see, i'm using a laptop at the moment which only has a 40 gb capacity, so i'm using an external (160 gb) harddrive for downloads etc.

of late, i've had an interesting problem; every time i go to access the folder with the torrent-downloaded material, i get an error message that says windows has encountered a problem and needs to close the window down (you know the one; send/don't send). it's quite ridiculous, because this happens ONLY when i access the download folder on the external HDD; if i access, say, my holiday pics (on the same HDD), it won't shut down. if i access mp3s or anything EXCEPT the downloads folder, no problems. once i click on the downloads folder, the error screen comes up.

to add to this oddity, i've managed to cut and paste quickly enough to move files from the downloads folder to other folders (on and off the external HDD). when i access these files, the same error prompt comes up. even more ridiculous, i've managed to burn these files to dvd, and when i load the dvd, and access the files, the SAME error screen comes up. i stress, this is ONLY for files that've been downloaded from the internet, all with utorrent...

it's a bit confusing, because EVERY other folder on the external HDD will open without a problem. only the torrents folder. i've tried making a new folder, and i get the same issue. it's only files that've been downloaded into my torrents folder. every other folder functions normally...

so...does anyone have any clues what i'm doing wrong? can this be fixed???

thanks in advance...

Archived