connecting problem with >200 torrents

myllian

Hi, in the last few months I've been having serious problems with utorrent making connections to peers or seeds, if a lot of torrents are active (>100).

Active doesn't necessarily means downloading or uploading, but not stopped nor enqueued.

For example the info says I have a total of 30 connections, and my limit is set 100 connections.

When I start downloading a new torrents it connects to 3-4 peers/seeders even if there are 100s of them.

The odd thing though is, when I stop all my other active torrents it will pick up a lot of seeds on the new downloading torrents and everything is fine.

Raising connection limit doesn't help and my port is open.

100 active, 5 downloads

sry that's what I meant when I said 100 connections..global connection limit is actually 300

I tried raising the queue to >300 but it made no difference at all

oh and I'd like to mention that it has nothing to do with the router having a hard time making all those connections, because everything else is fine (browsing fast, good pings, max speed downloads)

Why do you want so many torrents? The more peer connections you make the less data you transfer. What is your upload limit (and linespeed up since it sounds like you cripple your settings)? UPLOAD / (slots * torrents) >=3 makes you a good torrenter. If you are a member of a private site and "need" to keep 200 active torrents...

Stick to the Speed Guide settings for queue settings :/

down 2.5Mbit

up 512kbit

so you think I should lower the max active torrents?

If I do so, utorrent enqueues a lot of torrents, my question is, is utorrent so clever to dequeue a seed if a user wants to leech it? and enqueues another torrent with no leechers?

I thin you should stick to the xx/512 settings ;) or use the xx/512 settings in Switeck's thread which GTHK linked above.

ALSO I would recommend you reading in the User Manual (F1 in the uTorrent GUI) about the Ctrl-P > Advanced > queue.* options. They may be able to keep you happy if you're noticing certain things not happening while seeding. Yes, the queue is "smart" though efforts are being made to make it work better. The rumor is a rules-based approach similar to the plugin in Azureus.

Archived