Jump to content

Download speed issue / upload issue.


Recommended Posts

UPDATE: Possible cause in post 7. =/

I'm having a problem with my download speed. About a week ago, it just started being problematic. It goes up and down randomly but mostly just stays in the 5-20kB/s range. Also, my upload seems to be stuck at 0-1kB/s, even though I have it set much higher

in uTorrent's settings.

ISP: Shaw Cable High Speed

Speedtest.net results (I ran four tests):

1. 2904/472, ping:95ms/~100mi

2. 1271/453, ping:150ms/~150mi

3. 2606/470, ping:91ms/~750mi

4. 2885/474, ping:102/~1150mi

The download seems to vary a lot depending on the time of day, the day of the week and sometimes just for the hell of it. The

upload is usually pretty constant. =/

uTorrent settings:

max upload rate: 47kB/s

max download rate: 250kB/s

global max connections: 100

max connections per torrent: 40

upload slots per torrent: 4

Router: Linksys WRT54GSv6.0, firmware: v1.52.5

Ports are fowarded properly.

utorrent is added to windows firewall exceptions (I also turned off the firewall and tried it. No difference)

virus scanner: AVG Anti-Virus free (doesn't have a firewall AFAIK, so it shouldn't be a problem)

I tried turning off PeerGuardian 2. No difference.

I tried that slackware torrent and this is what happened:

up to 100kB/s in a few secs

down to 90

down to 80

down to 70

up to 80

down to 60

up to 70

down to 50

continues to vary between 40-90

I'm downloading a few tv show torrents from eztv (one at a time) and they go up to 50-80kB/s and then back down to 10kB/s and then go up and down constantly.

I also tried a heavily seeded torrent from What.cd and it easily downloaded at my max of 250kB/s.

If I missed anything you need, go ahead and ask and I'll post it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

"We are sorry, the test failed due to a problem.

The connection to the measurement server was lost. Please try again by clicking here."

I keep getting this error. Sometimes I get it right away and sometimes, I get close to finishing (like 30 seconds away this time!) before it dies.

And when I try and run another test, I usually get this:

"We are sorry. Our measurement servers are currently busy. Please try again later."

The site's been busy for a couple of days now. Any other, more reliable, sites out there?



Whoa. Okay. Apparently my ports are NOT forwarded properly. At least, not completely.

I ran utorrents port checker thing and got the "OK! Port x is open and accepting connections." message. I decided to refresh the page a bunch of times just to make sure.

4 in a row ok

2 error

3 ok

1 error

1 ok

2 error

And then it just goes on randomly like that. What could block the port only some of the time?

I closed PG2, turned off windows firewall AND connected my computer directly to the modem. Same problem. This is truly baffling. o_O

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Whoa is for sure.

Dramzen, the EXACT same thing is happening on my XP machine, and started only recently as you have experienced.

I even tried refreshing the port test page and sometimes the port shows open, sometimes closed... VERY strange.

Then just to experiment I subscribed to a privacy service that funnels my internet traffic through an encrypted VPN and voila, Utorrent works again but my max upload speed was 40 Kb/s and download wasn't much faster.

If anyone can figure this one out please post. My guess is Shaw is up to some new traffic shaping practices. :mad:

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...