Since upgrading to 1.8.1 yesterday I've been getting corrupt data

Tristor

I upgraded from 1.8 to 1.8.1 yesterday and immediately noticed the improvement after the fix for trackers going offline randomly (thanks), but now after a torrent runs for awhile, seemingly at random, it will write corrupt data for one or two pieces. Forcing a recheck throws and error message saying Error: File or folder is corrupted or unreadable. This data is also impossible for me to delete from my system cleanly, as any file operations with it get that same error message from Windows. I currently have a piece of a video file in my recycle bin that I can't empty, because it's corrupted, and a piece of a video file in an otherwise empty folder. Upon deleting everything and redoing the torrent, everything seems to work fine sometimes, and sometimes it will randomly corrupt again.

At first glance, it appears to be a hard disk problem, although I can assure you it is not. I am monitoring SMART performance and I haven't seen any degradation or events that would indicate an issue, and since bad sectors are detected on write, not on read, any bad sectors that may have been encountered should have been marked and the data written elsewhere. It appears that the bad data is coming directly from utorrent, and I don't know if it's a result of a corruption on the seed side, or if it's something wrong with how utorrent is writing it. Either way, it's a huge pain in the ass and is KILLING my ratio when I have to redownload an entire 40GB torrent because it wrote corrupt data.

Any ideas?

I'm in the process of running chkdsk now as it was throwing error 55 in the event viewer (I parsed through all the events, and found that it only occured AFTER installing 1.8.1). As an aside, if I revert back to 1.8, it doesn't cause this issue, but then I have to deal with the tracker issue that got fixed in 1.8.1

I ran a full chkdsk, and it seemed to delete a few orphaned nodes and nothing else, the files that were there are still intact. Took forever to run, I guess that was to be expected with it scanning a 14TB array and all.

Anyway, I'm going to see what happens from here on out, but the timeline is very interesting as I had 0 issues until the upgrade, as the error log in the event viewer confirms.

Archived