leechers, seeders, and trackers

hallflukai

i keep reading that leechers are people that don't download the whole torrent. i also read that trackers punish leechers by giving them slowed down download times. is this true? and can i seed something that i don't have the full torrent off? because if i click the green arrow it still says seeding.

What do you mean by reward? The method of increasing your share ratio that you're using is a perfectly valid way of increasing your ratio. The only problem with it is that if many users do that, it may mess up the swarm piece distribution slightly (which is never a good thing).

Trackers can't directly control your speed. They can indirectly manipulate it by restricting the number of peers they send you, or whether you're even allowed to announce to the tracker for that torrent for a certain period of time, but they definitely can't control speeds.

Nevertheless, the reason they enforce strict seeding rules is because no one likes leechers, because if everyone leeched, P2P would fail. So you should definitely keep seeding as best as you can. Ideally, you should be downloading entire torrents and seeding, not just downloading parts and uploading those.

Share ratio is UL/DL. So trackers can set share ratios to "block" pure leechers who dont share back.

e.g. ratio of 0.8 imposes you must upload 0.8x as you download. So you can be forbidden to dwl new torrents before XX hours or simply download any torrent.

Anyway for more explainations, read the tracker FAQ.

Archived