Utorrent will disconnect me from internet after ~ 30 minutes.

DefQon

Yes, that's what it is doing. I'ts very annoying and I after it has happened I am not able to connect for 4 - 5 hours. It only happens when I'm running utorrent. Please help me to get this problem fixed. I don't want to use some other crappy programs...

How does it reconnect? Are you connected directly to the modem? Do you connect to a router connected to your modem? Are you portforwarded? If you have other computers, do they still work? What about on the LAN?

Have you tried resetting the modem prior to the 4 hour "wait"? What steps from http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=15992 have you tried?

Indeed, if the router/modem is dying then a reset (unplug, wait 10 seconds - 1 minute, replug) should fix it immediately. This will tell you WHICH hardware is dying. The same would be said if while WITHOUT internet you can still LAN on other computers, or whether there IS no "LAN" without the router.

When you get the time feel free to poke at it while dead as well as checking to see if you followed all steps mentioned in the page for your router at http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

Pay special attention to if your router can configure connection time out values. Not being port forwarded is both good and bad. It is good in that you can likely reduce your connections to fix the problem, but bad in that you won't be able to "fix" it by just disabling DHT. Feel free to update the thread with your status ;) Good luck

I tried to run Utorrent again and as usually it disconnected me again. I decided to try replugging my router which didn't help... I waited for 2 minutes before I plugged it in. I also tired reinstalling my ethernet driver - That didn't help either. Once again I had to wait. But one thing is sure. Utorrent is modifying my router because If I lose my connection then I am not able to browse internet on both computers ( 2 computers connected to one router )

And oh yea. I cannot access my router because I don't know the username and password. My hardfisted ISP won't tell me it.

I don't want to waste more time getting my problem with Utorrent fixed. It's a wonderful program but are there any other good/ knows programs for downloading torrents?

Thanks

You need to follow the steps in the sticky I linked in post #2.

I fear you may not get any relief by switching programs if your router is incapable of handling the high connection load bittorrent puts on it. So please start at the top and work your way down.

Usually in cases like this 1 of 2 or both of the following steps MUST be done: Disable DHT and LPD (local peer discovery) in Preferences; limit connections to something drastic like 20 TOTAL and 10 per torrent.

That will at least tell you whether or not it's the router itself being the problem (sometimes they just stop working).

Archived