In Properties window, Ctrl+Tab does not switch tabs

Timwi

Tabbed dialogs should switch tabs when you press Ctrl+Tab. However, in the Properties window in µTorrent, Ctrl+Tab deletes the trackers from the Trackers list (by inserting a tab character). This seems destructive and of little use to me. Even when other elements in the same dialog are focused, Ctrl+Tab does not work as expected.

There are no keys specifically for changing tabs. There is in fact no standard keyboard shortcut to do so.

There's only Tab and Shift+Tab for changing focus on elements. Some apps also let you use Ctrl+Tab, but the use is not standardized.

This is again, not a bug, but a feature request.

Let us get this straight: just because it behaves in a way differently than you expect does not make it a bug. If there is a guideline out there saying that every application must use Ctrl+Tab to switch tabs or Alt+Enter to view the properties, do point it out to us -- we must have missed it. Until then, they're all enhancements (on topic: enhancements I definitely agree with, as it were).

There is absolutely nothing wrong with you making suggestions. What's annoying is how you always misrepresent the severity of anything you request by marking it as a bug. There is a difference -- a bug is unintended behavior, which itself is different from intentional behavior. Case in point: we didn't intentionally leave Ctrl+Tab or Alt+Enter behavior out, but their absences aren't unintended and don't cause unintended side-effects in the program either. As such, it is not a bug that they're missing. Their addition simply wasn't considered by the devs, period.

We know µTorrent is in no way perfect, and our making this distinction is not in denial of that simple fact. We're not trying to be defensive about it. If no distinctions were made, then we might as well not keep separate forums for suggestions/requests and bug reports (not happening). And I wouldn't waste my time emphasizing this were it not for the fact that you have a decorated history of doing this (enough for me to recognize it immediately).

You're probably tired of this lecture we seem to always give you whenever you post a report/suggestions, but consider this: we never have to consistently repeat this to almost any other user. You may not see the point, but we value ease of filtering through posts/reports/suggestions and the accuracy of their categorization.

To reiterate, I agree with the suggestion made here and in your other thread. Don't let this quasi-political-correctness tirade deter you from doing what you do best: provide valuable feedback. Just make sure it's placed where it actually belongs, and not just where you think or want it to belong :P

Enough blabbering from me.

Note: Don't take this post too personally (do take it seriously though). I'm not trying to make a bigger deal of this than it is; I just feel a bit rant-y tonight, hence the lenghty explanation of our stance xD

Previous history of "make it my way" got your goat? ;) In any case I think this should be lumped with the other PREVIOUS REQUESTS for implementing a keyboard shortcut elsewhere in the UI and/or trashed.

Timwi, as soon as you contribute to the community or uTorrent by providing an awesome translated site like http://utorrent.cz or http://utorrent-deutsch.de you can be above "request"... however until then, you're like the rest of us.

Edit: The reason your trackers clear is because you had them selected (default focus element) ;) Try not to do that, or just press Cancel.

I think there is a misunderstanding, and perhaps also a mixup. The only other suggestion I ever made in the past was to have UI to add webseeds to a running torrent (you've done that now, thanks). I don't think I categorised that as a bug then, but even if I did, it is hardly a "decorated history".

As for this one, I don't mind too much about the Alt+Enter suggestion to be considered a request, but Ctrl+Tab clearing the contents of that textarea is most definitely a bug according to your own definition ("unintended behaviour") as it can trash the torrent. Notice I call it a "usability bug": this means it impairs the usability of the product, it does not imply that the programmers have made a mistake in implementing their design.

Timwi, [...] until then, you're like the rest of us.

I am disapointed that you are stating that contributors to the project are "above us", and by extension you are implying that suggestions made by contributors have more weight. Surely a suggestion should be judged by what the suggestion is, not by who made it. If I report a usability problem, the severity of that problem is independent of the fact that it was me who reported it.

What I meant was that you have made plenty of bug reports that weren't actually bug reports. At any rate...

thelittlefire is mistaken: there is no distinction between *who* makes a suggestion. As you said, if an idea is good, it'll be that much more likely to be implemented, no matter who suggests it. I forward ideas from the forums to devs I consider to be "good", and Firon adds to the bugtracker those he agrees with as well. The devs do browse the forums themselves, so ideas we don't forward to them ourselves, they can see as well. As for ourselves (the "core" testers), we make far fewer suggestions when compared with the community, and that's why we still consider your feedback to be valuable.

We are not above requests. We're simply more in-tune with the devs and dev process/philosophy behind µTorrent than many/most (not necessarily all) users, so suggestions/recommendations that make sense to us often make sense to the devs as well.

How am I mistaken, NONE of the "bugs" reported were valid. Timwi still has to get over entitlement issues. I read ALL the old posts, and I fully understand and agree with your response.

I look forward to the version with more keyboard shortcuts for those who don't necessarily like the mouse all that much.

The mistake is that there is no difference between users who make large contributions and users who don't when it comes to getting requests implemented; no one is above anyone else in making requests. But er, we're all hinting at letting this side discussion just die, so blah ;D

Archived