Ports and Windows firewall

s0kkiplast

Hello!

I'm about to install a version of Windows where the windows firewall is completely absent. Iv'e heard that this can be a problem if you want to have the ports open in a torrent-client. But my question is: is this the case if you are directly connected to a fiber lan connection and not through a router/modem?

If there are ports to open you would be behind a NAT device (otherwise they are open by default as there is nothing to close them)

And in that case it is always safe to open a port that a torrent-client would use (as opposed to opening, say, the netbios ports, which is definitely dangerous)

"fiber lan connection" in combination with "no router" is rather contradictory - how would have a LAN without a router? Is it an ISP-wide "LAN" maybe?

Harold

"If there are ports to open you would be behind a NAT device (otherwise they are open by default as there is nothing to close them)

And in that case it is always safe to open a port that a torrent-client would use (as opposed to opening, say, the netbios ports, which is definitely dangerous)

"fiber lan connection" in combination with "no router" is rather contradictory - how would have a LAN without a router? Is it an ISP-wide "LAN" maybe?"

Yes that was what I meant. Do you mean this will be no problem for me?

Sure will, XP's firewall doesn't do very much in any case, but firewalls should only make it harder to access them from the outside (if they made it any easier, shame on them! they would be backdoors instead of firewalls)

Unless windows goes crazy and thinks "oh no firewall? ok then no internet." which sounds like something Vista might do - but any sane version of windows should* be fine..

* they work fine with the firewall disabled anyway, although that's not really the same - so no guarantees here

Well. I know that would be the logic thing. But I know for a fact that (at least for router users) the ports will act closed if there is no windows firewall on the system, I don't mean that it is disabled (I have always disabled it) but it is totally absent, removed before installation.

Archived