After testing both new Beta's (Bitcomet0.61 & Utorrentv1.4) I find....

ZV

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's interesting, I'll have to look in to that.

My favorite private tracker uses peer guardian on their tracker and pass keys on the torrent files. So the security & privacy is very strong.

That doesn't make the security and privacy that strong. PeerGuardian is not 100% effective, in fact there is no way of saying exactly how effective it is but I'd say very low. It's basically just snake oil. As for passkeys, they do nothing for security but allow the site to measure ratios.

They also have a time delay for downloading from the tracker. So people like myself who have 5:1 ratios or higher get the data right away. Because they know we'll seed the files by our high ratios.

The delay system is not new, it's been out for a long time (I remember ET used to use it). Did it occur to you that people with wait times will have no way of improving their ratio because by the time they get the files, there are already too many leeches? It also does nothing to solve the BC DHT leak issue (though that is apparently solved now). Wait times suck.

it just means that they have to rely on their connections. if they have slow connections they probably won't be able to get their ratio up, but it is a private tracker and these people most likely knew what they were getting into when they signed up. if you have a decent connection, even after the wait times elapse, all you have to do is let it seed when it's done and usually, according to the natural progression of the tapering of seeders, you will gain your ratio back and then some. it's really not as difficult as many make it seem.

it just means that they have to rely on their connections. if they have slow connections they probably won't be able to get their ratio up

That's like people saying "if your computer isn't powerful enough to run Azureus, get a new computer". A "good connection" that will allow you to get your ratio up on a reasonably big site with 24hr wait times needs to have 1mbit up at least. (I grab the files from one site, then seed them on another to achieve this - typically with 1mbit upload I'm not even able to upload a full copy of the file.)

Sorry, wait times suck.

you could always just get them when some kind soul uploads them to public trackers and then get them from the massive swarms. private sites aren't for everyone.. probably why they're called private.

I would prefer if all these BitVomit threads would vanish as soon as they start. It's really pointless as they all say pretty much the same thing. You want to use Vomit, have it it. I'm using µTorrent.

yeah, with a big release (1.4) and many users finding out about a new client and subsequently switching you expect some resistance and quibelling and general discussion explosions like this but it would be nice if the same discussion could be contained to a single thread instead of 5 or 6.

edit: also, i get it up just fine. i wasn't the one saying it was difficult, i was the one saying it was easier than a lot of people make it out to be :P

• 2 months later...
Why bitcomet is (still) banned on scenetorrents and other trackers (and why you get a better speed):

* If you request too many pieces from it (something around 100? or so), it drops ALL your requests.

So, i have a question, is there any way for utorrent to limit the number of pieces requested? Because of this my download speed reaches high ground, then drops to 0.. (the bitcomet client drops all my requests)

PS: sorry if it's out of topic

it is a bit out of topic, and either way you didn't need to revive a 2.5 month old thread to ask your question.

*From the 1.4 changelog:*

- Fix: Better detection if BitComet clients threw away my requests.

so to answer, uTorrent tries it's best to keep BitComet honest on it's own. and no, there isn't a way to manually limit the number of peice requests.

thx for the answer!

It seems to me like it still needs some improvements in this area.. maybe it didn't detect the peer's client correctly.. i am not sure if it was bitcomet or bitlord and can't remember the exact version..

The symptoms i experienced pointed clearly to request dropping.. and if i limited the download speed so that the requests to the peer don't exceed say 80 it works fine

I am using utorrent 1.5

I posted in this topic because of the search function, I didn't see the exact date of the last post and was uncertain if my question was worthy of a new topic

Archived