NAT error

Raan

NAT error indicates that there was a failure communicating with the NAT device on your network. Two things can explain this:

1) You are connected directly to the internet (and the error message can be ignored)

2) Your router is not UPnP compatible, in which case you will have to manually configure it to allow incoming connections to the port configured for use by µTorrent in the settings dialog.

In either case, transfer speeds will suffer if peers are unable to reach µTorrent remotely.

This is how µTorrent behaves in detail:

· If UPnP is enabled in the settings and a port was successfully acquired, it displays "UPnP(port)". If incoming connections were successfully made on the UPnP port, it appends "OK" to this indicator.

· If UPnP is disabled or no UPnP port was acquired, it displays NAT error if no incoming connections were established but outgoing connections are working fine.

· If incoming and outgoing connections seem to be working properly, it displays "Network OK"

Therefore "NAT Error" indicates that remote peers may not be able reach you, and ".. OK" incates that incoming/outgoing connections are working.

Well, it seems to display "NAT error" whether I have UPnP enabled or not, yet I reach download speeds of about 50Kbps (I have an 8Mb line but like I said before, these are slow torrents in themselves) and I've had no problem with clients (lacking NAT traversal) before. I use the same forwarded port as I did then and all. It doesn't really seem to be a problem, it just strikes me as odd, since, for example, BitTornado could accept incoming connections without problems.

Archived