Port Problems

XsersisT

Any help on the following matter would be very much appreciated.

Yesterday we changed ISP's - the speed of downloading is over twice what it was before on normal downloads, such as from websites (AVG Free Edition, Zone Alarm etc.) but whereas I was getting 60-80kb/s on torrent downloads using uTorrent I was only getting between 1 and 3 kb/s on the new ISP.

I then decided, as uTorrent said "no incoming connection, unless the icon turns green, it could indicate an problem with your network connection" - I set up a static IP and used portforward.com to set everything up. I then downloaded another torrent this morning (780mb), and after setting up the static IP the status of uTorrent was green "everything is OK." The speed, was around the 5kb/s mark, which I thought was unusual, but within an hour or so was downloading at around 180-210kb/s which is what I expected after changing ISP's. Needless to say, that download finished fairly quickly, compared to what i am used to and within an hour or so everything was done.

I then went onto another torrent site to download something I do every day, this is around 170mbs but my "no incoming connection, unless the icon turns green, it could indicate an problem with your network connection" has come back up again for no reason.

I have not changed the port number in uTorrent or moved machines or anything - I haven't even closed uTorrent since the last download. Since I noticed the error and the 1-2kb/s download speed I did a check to see if the port was open, it says it wasn't- one torrent site is telling me I AM connectible another is telling me that I am not, both have the correct port number- normal port checks are telling me I am not. How is this the case when I haven't even closed the program or the port and my static IP is still live. The only thing that has changed is that we now have a laptop running off the same Wireless router, could this be affecting anything?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

XT

-EDIT: I have now changed the port number in uTorrent and in my routers virtual server. Looked over the TCP/IP settings (haven't changed anything) and everything seems to be OK - I have the green light again... But help as to why this would happen would still be great....

-EDIT: A second after I posted the above edit, it went back to its current state of "no incoming connection, unless the icon turns green, it could indicate an problem with your network connection" so help is needed again!

-EDIT: Just disabled DHT and gone green again - could this have been causing the problems?

-EDIT: Obviously not as it's orange again now :(

-EDIT: It appears that if I don't surf the net ot goes green - as soon as I use the internet to surf it goes to orange - any idea why this is happening?

-EDIT (Again- Sorry): Nothing to do with surfing net. It went green for about a minute and now back to orange.

The fact it doesn't stay means it's possible you have crippling by the ISP, HOWEVER the fact it does go green when you are receiving incoming connections means you are essentially worrying over nothing of consequence.

Have you followed the http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=15992 steps for limiting connections and other features which "advertise" you are running p2p applications?

In this testing you did check http://slackware.com/torrents/ correct?

Archived