WRT54G V6 Problem with internet slowdown with utorrent

zzzster

Frankly, I'm not surprised. I had problems with DD-WRT even on a WRT54GL, which has higher specs than a WRT54G v6 (specs are identical to WRT54G v2).

What exactly are the settings you're currently using? What does the Speed Guide show your current settings to be? What do you have net.max_halfopen set to?

Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer > System > See any events with an ID of 4226?

Is your connection ISP > WRT54G > Vonage router and you can still make calls while the 'net is "out"? If the stock Linksys firmware was locking up then it didn't work perfectly now did it :P

What make and model modem are you using? Also, reaching the connection limitation would be bad, so check that DD-WRT status and make sure you're not reaching your own limit.

Upload limit: 45 Upload Slots: 5

Connections: 100 Connections Global: 450

Max Active: 25 Active Download: 20

Even if you're only running 15 torrents at a time that average 3 peers each, you must hate who you're sharing with! Because you won't average 1 KB/sec upload to them.

Your upload limit is a limiting factor on how many torrents you can effectively download and upload at once. Your download is too, but to a much lesser degree...since it's probably a lot greater than your upload.

2nd link in my signature gives suggested settings for uTorrent based on your max sustainable UPLOAD speed.

Bad settings may work ok with many torrents...then cause all kinds of problems on very busy torrents.

You may want lower-than-max upload settings if your line is shared or has a monthly bandwidth quota you don't want to exceed.

Lastly, LOWER net.max_halfopen back to the default of 8.

Scientific Atlanta Cable Modem > WRT54G V6 < Vonage Adapter

When uTorrent causes my internet to "go out" I can STILL make a phone call and the adapter still shows a valid signal to the Vonage servers.

Let me clarify. The Linksys firmware ONLY "locks up" when I try to start/stop ~450 torrents at one time. The WRT54G V6 will totally hose and even the Vonage adapter shows no internet signal. The only recourse is to power cycle the router.

Try to be a little more clear.

Switecks suggestions (link two is what I use). If you still have trouble, telnet into the router, run ps, copy and paste the list. Also keep an eye on connection usage in the router and reset your net.max_halfopen. UDP timeout 60 seconds.

(Basic telnet: Start > All Programs > Accessories > Communications > HyperTerminal > routers IPa > Login details > ps > use mouse to select output and copy it).

Archived