How to restart session w/o restarting at 0%

imtrying

There have been several times where I've had to restart my computer in the middle of a download. Although I might be 20% complete, when I restarted my session it always restarts at 0%. I've turned off all disk caches thinking something might be lost when I reboot. Is there any way to pickup where it left off? BTW, uTorrent may NOT be shut down gracefully, but just powered off (only way to get my system to reboot).

I wish I could stop uTorrent gracefully, but my system freezes and I'm forced to do a power off.

The torrents and data are in the same directories, I stop the torrents and do a Force Recheck. I still restart my downloads at 0%, even though my completion % was much higher before I powered down. What am I missing? Why can't uTorrent see my existing data that was previously downloaded and restart from there? Each torrent is downloading several files and none of the files ever complete downloads. Can uTorrent not pickup where it left off on partial file downloads?

You really should fix your freezing problem. How do you get your internet? What AV/Securty/Firewall software do you use? Can you provide the HiJackThis logfile described at the bottom of http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=15992

uTorrent resumes data where it finds it. If your hard drive for whatever reason isn't saving it... there's nothing uT can do. What does your Ctrl-P > Advanced > Disk Cache pane look like.

Please note the location uTorrent saves the data as, represented by Save As in the General tab.

Thanks for trying to help me out. Talk about bad luck, after running uTorrent all night, I lost power to my house. When everything came back on, my uTorrent again started at 0%. I'm running uTorrent inside VirtualPC 2007, with my data disk being a shared disk with the host machine (so it's NOT a virtual disk, and the data does get written--I can even look at the files in the host machine and see that it's reasonably large size--certainly not 0.) I have "enable caching of disk writes/reads" UNchecked, and "Disable Windows caching of disk writes /reads" CHECKED. This way I was hoping that any disk action does not get delayed/lost in case my machine goes down. Here's a current example of my problem. One of the data files that I'm trying to complete download is now at 1.43GB (Finished file will be 5.43GB). However, when restarting uTorrents (even with Force Re-check), it starts out at 0. Does uTorrent see only complete files (on a multi-file download) when it restarts? I certainly doesn't seem to see the 1.43GB that's already been downloaded.

Did you check Save As like I mentioned? If a manual recheck doesn't find it, you can try repathing it (again) via right click > Advanced > Set Download Location. CLICK on the FILE/FOLDER you are looking for, say OK, START (it will recheck again). As to your.. changes to the Disk Cache settings pane, I wasn't aware you could use the bypass with the actual cacheing disabled. I would try reenabling read/write caching and all the sub options. Disabling them causes less frequent writes, such as "write out finished pieces immediately". Enabled it does as it says but usually scales to every 5 second interval; disabled it scales every 20 seconds. "Reduce memory usage" when unchecked can leave data in the buffer and not cause it to be written.

Are you using VPC in another windows session?

Again, thanks for your sage advice. Right now, my uTorrent is downloading and I'm hesitant to stop it for fear of having to start all over again. My torrent and data locations are unchanged from session to session and specified in the directories preferences. As for the bypass with cache settings, I just assumed that with no cache, the read/writes would have to happen as needed.

After my download completes (I don't want to mess it up), I will reset my cache settings per your advice and see what happens. In theory, it should say my download completed is 100% right?

I'm not sure what you mean by windows session. I am running WinXP Pro and within that, I run a window with VPC (also with WinXP Pro).

I really messed myself up. I waited until my download was completed before trying anything new with uTorrent. Although I meant to copy the completed download to a safe location, I guess I copied the wrong file. Anyway, when I went back to uTorrent to see if it would be 100% done, not only did it restart at 0%, but wrote over my completed file! So uTorrent knows where the files are, but doesn't seem to recognize partial files. My guess now is that uTorrent must write some info on it's downloads to the registry or to some location other than the data directories. I say this because when I stop by virtual PC, I delete the "C" drive, (but all the data is on a shared directory "Z" between the VPC and host). Does this sound right to you?

I tried the Open Containing Folder on some new downloads. On MOST of them, it opens to a file or folder in my data folder dedicated to BitTorrent. But interestingly, I have one download that is 99.9% complete, but when I Open Containg Folder, it says "...path does not exist or is not a directory". I have my uTorrents directories set to put both Torrents and downloads into z:\BitTorrent. So although the download is almost complete, there are no data files stored on disk. I did a file search on all my drives, and it can't be found. I haven't shut down uTorrent yet, but no I believe that the data must still be in a disk cache. That might explain why I restart at 0% when uTorrent is cut off instead of being closed down--I lost all my download data because it was still in cache. What do you think? BTW, I mentioned I turned off my cache in my previous posts, but perhaps I didn't restart my uTorrent session, it didn't take affect yet.

OK, I tried to close down uTorrents, and it looked like it closed down, but I still couldn't find the "completed" file. Then I tried to restart uTorrent again, but I couldn't because it said it was still running (yes I did exit uTorrent in the system tray and there were no more icons). So although I shut down uTorrent, something kept it from actually closing and writing out its files. I did a windows restart (all within my VPC), restarted uTorrent, and for good measure, added all the torrents again (saying yes that it was already running). I also told uTorrent to shut off ALL caches including Windows cache, before restarting uTorrent again. This time "Open Containing Folder" found the files/folder location for ALL the torrents.

So it seems my problem relates to uTorrent actually putting all it's data onto disk. Perhaps shutting off all disk caches will solve my problem (and maybe that was why uTorrent didn't shut down previously). Again, I don't want to mess up my download now, so I will continue to experiment after my downloads really complete and I can copy the files to a safe location.

Indeed sounds like the cache isn't writing out to physical disk. When you close µTorrent it will keep running until the cache has been written out but that might somehow get stuck and µTorrent doesn't close. When you kill the process the cache is gone.

So the question is: Why won't the cache write out to the physical disk. Not sure this is a problem on µTorrent's side because this is the first time I read about such a story. imho it is likely a problem on OS or VM manager level or at least a result of a combination of problems in µTorrent and your VM setup.

Is µTorrent the only software that has trouble writing to this specific physical disk? Have you tried downloading to the c drive?

I've proven to myself that the problem IS caused by uTorrent not flushing out its cache and writing to the disk. I disabled all cache settings within uTorrent and looked at "Open Containing Folder" periodically. I could then see that the modified time for the downloading files were being changed. I then closed out uTorrent...but again it continued to "hang" until I did a three finger salute--(note that I disabled all cache so there was no cache to flush!). Upon restarting uTorrent, it now found the downloaded data and RESUMED from where it left off. HURRAY.

Now I need to find out why disk cache doesn't flush out. Yes, I've had other programs write to these drives within VPC. My work around now is to disable cache. As I get more time, I will continue to try various cache settings to see what happens.

Thanks all for your advice.

• 3 weeks later...

Are the virtual disk(s) set to discard all changes after shutdown? I do not remember if VirtualPC does this by default but vmware can be set by default to take the virtual disk back to as if nothing is written to it after shutting the virtual machine down. This would cause what you are experiencing.

Archived