'Auto' unpack feature.

BenDover

hey

was thinking if it would be possible, to add a feature, that when set, utorrent downloads a torrent file aa.rar, then when at 100%, it calls winrar, unpacks aa.rar to a specific directory, that have set in settings, but keeps the aa.rar file, in stock, for seeding.

hope you understand what i mean, been searching for some type of third party software that could do what i ask, however, i have been uable to find anything...

/BenDover

If you open a torrents properties you can set a program to run when the torrent finishes downloading.

winrar e -r "%D\*.rar" "%D\" for example, should extract all RAR's in that torrents directorys to the torrents main directory. You should look at WinRAR's help file though for different commands.

• 3 weeks later...

A feature specifically for unpacking and anything related won't happen. WinRAR or 7zip should allow such operations via commandline. The only thing that'll likely happen will be a global run-on-completion, which can be used to run some batch file which proceeds to use WinRAR or 7zip (or whatever else) to unpack/delete the files.

there is, as far as i know, an unrar.dll free, available to use in the above way, ie unpacking files after download.

for downloading i also use a program called SABnzbd+, it has the option to down, par check, and then unpack, to a directory i set in settings, like so:

download blabla-test.nzb

the par checks,

then unpacks to *main download directory*\blabla-test\file.avi

VERY helpfull.

now i was thinking that utorrent might be able to do some of the same, but as i can see here, and from what everyone else i talked too said, it seems im a bit crazy for even asking :)

so is there any reason why it will never be made?

It may be an idea to create a "command library" in uTorrent so that pre-created commands can be chosen from a drop-down box for torrent completion. It should also be "smart" and auto-detect the location of the binaries for certain applications (e.g. WinRAR, 7zip) using registry entries.

For example:

Unpack all compressed archives with WinRAR (detected: "C:\Program Files (x86)\WinRAR\winrar.exe")

would basically just call:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\WinRAR\winrar.exe" e -r "%D\*.rar" "%D\"

The user should be able to create their own custom commands and store them in this library.

A list of commands to select from has indeed been requested before as well. Why won't it ever be made so that µTorrent has a feature to specifically unpack compressed archives? Because µTorrent shouldn't care about what's downloaded. Because a generalized way to do it (via global on-completion commands) is an infinitely better and more scalable solution than "unpack my downloads on completion."

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived