Flat download speeds

Lieukeman

I hope someone could help me with my questions.

PC: P4, 3 GHz, 1 MB ram, 120 GB SATA HDD, XPSP2, TCPIP patched to 100 connections

Connection: 10mb/s down, 1mb/s up, behind adsl modem router, port forwarded: 50011

Have been using µtorrent Betas and now V1.4

Settings according to wizard guidelines:

Up limit: 92 kB/s

Down limit: 0 kB/s

Global connection: 600

Connections/torrent: 100

Max active torrents: 6

Max active downloads: 5

UPnP: disabled

Upload slots/torrent: 6

net.low_cpu: false, net.max_halfopen: 70, listening port: 50011

Other settings at default

Questions:

1. I believe port should be forwarded properly because NAT is OK. Help statistics showed there are In and Outgoing connections. Peer list showed there are some I flags and blanked port nos. NAT checks indicated port is not opened except http://www.grc.com/x/portprobe=portnumber showed port is open. So is my port really opened to µtorrent?

2. Usually have only one active download and one seeding at a time even though wizard recommended more. In this case do I still need to keep the upload slots at 6 or should I increase it and to what value?

3. Irregardless of the quality of torrents my download speed always fluatuate between 20 kB/s and 50 kB/s and not higher. Upload speed is always around the set value at 90 kB/s. Exception is the OpenOffice test torrent, I could acheive download speed above 400 kB/s. Are there any settings that I could have missed to improve the download speed?

Appreciate some help to my queries. TIA

1. With Network Ok you're all set, don't worry about the other tests.

2. You don't need to change the upload slots but it's a good idea to check the "Use additional upload slots if speed < 90%" box.

3. Since you're getting good speeds with OpenOffice I'd suspect a crappy torrent or crappy tracker. Change those if you can (have you tried private trackers?).

I'm happy to say that I'm downloading at more than twice my previous speeds.

Some questions for Krazyson:

1. How is it that reducing the upload speed could have such a huge impact on the download. I was under the impression that the more upload (subjected to 80% cap) the better wll be the download. My previous upload at 92KB/s calculated by the wizard which is 70% of max could not achieve the good speed.

2. Could you tell me how do you calculate the "magic" number of 60KB/s for my connection because not satisfied with the much lowered upload cap, I tried playing a bit with the setting and the very moment I increased it only by 1KB/s above 60 the download speed dropped immediately to the old speed (have not tried reducing it below 60 KB/s). This could be good information for others having speed problems that having high upload does not necessarily equate to high downloads.

Anyway I am happy with the current speeds and thanks again for your help.

I'm happy to say that I'm downloading at more than twice my previous speeds.

Some questions for Krazyson:

1. How is it that reducing the upload speed could have such a huge impact on the download. I was under the impression that the more upload (subjected to 80% cap) the better wll be the download. My previous upload at 92KB/s calculated by the wizard which is 70% of max could not achieve the good speed.

To put it simply, there are all too many ISPs where the practical upload speed is far less than the theoretical. My theoretical maximum upload is 640 kilobits/sec. In practice, it is more like 512 kilobit/sec and I didn't even notice it was supposed to be the former until recently. The upshot is that you set the upload speed for your practical limit, not your theoretical.

2. Could you tell me how do you calculate the "magic" number of 60KB/s for my connection because not satisfied with the much lowered upload cap, I tried playing a bit with the setting and the very moment I increased it only by 1KB/s above 60 the download speed dropped immediately to the old speed (have not tried reducing it below 60 KB/s). This could be good information for others having speed problems that having high upload does not necessarily equate to high downloads.

I'd put a guess that he realized that whatever your current setting is, it is crimping, so he decided to recommend a setting about 2/3rds of that to ensure a free path.

Archived