Utorrent Files Gone, after Uninstall....

bauer24

Hi

I was having trouble updating to the latest version of utorrent, i got the message that "the utorrent updater failed". Now i uninstalled Utorrent, from Add/Remove selecting Remove settings directory . I then installed the latest version, and all my files are gone. Files which were in a download state are still located on my PC. I can get these back, by downloading the correct torrent file, but the other files i had on queue (nothing downloaded) are not there. I'm pretty sure i should not have selected the Remove settings directory.

Is there anyway to recover the lost files?

Thanks

If the updater failed, maybe you should just replace the old utorrent.exe by the new one.

Anyway reload .torrents in uT, they are in AppData folder (see FAQ if you don't know where this folder is). So reload them manually and choose the right location folder where are your (un)complete data.

Or if your data are in the same global folder (eg User\Downloads), use the auto reload procedure (Settings > Directories).

For more info about auto reload, read http://www.utorrent.com/migration_guide.php

Thanks for that, i have found the folder, but not all the files were listed there. I downloaded a file recovery software, and performed a scan of my C drive. I went to the ApplicationData/Utorrent and found the .torrent files there (ones where nothing was downloaded). Does this mean that when i selected the "Remove settings directory" Some of the .torrent files were removed?

Yep surely.

.torrent files, resume.dat & settings.dat are in AppData folder by default. So when you reinstall your OS, save this folder before. ;)

Do the same if you have configured uT to save .torrents in an external folder to AppData.

Anyway you can go on the tracker and retrieve the .torrents instead of recovering them.

Thanks for the help so far, i really appreciate it. One last thing, before i start the recovery process. If i perform a System Recovery instead (running WinXp S2) wouldn't that restore the files, therefore when loading utorrent all my files would have been loaded?

My last post was just a tip to reinstall uT and retrieve all the torrents without to reload them manually.

So a backup implies to save resume.dat and settings.dat before formatting HD, reinstalling OS etc...

But in your case, these files have been trashed... Just think it the next time. ;)

For the others, try to retrieve them on tracker websites where you dwled the 1st time.

Archived